IGNORED

New Club DVD!

hls30.com

As an owner of a '72 with a '75 engine, an 83 tranny and an '89 diff I welcome your efforts to compile all this info. It will be nice to be able to reference the necessary info without purchasing every tech/service manual for each year part I have in my Z. Let me know what the final cost will be of the materials you've collected. Regards and thanks.

John,

You just nailed the reason I originally considered starting this project: one car with parts from several years to support-the need several years worth of technical documents.

The final monetary cost of the project really isn't an issue, I collected several these manuals long before this project came in to my mind. Granted all of the manuals I have bought in the last two years were bought with this project in mind, but when you really get down to it, the time involved is far more valuable than the money I have spent.

Will

Hi guys, this project is looking GREAT! A few points to note about the details:

- Print material only. We can't use electronic items from Nissan (ie: FAST CD's)

- We need original scans or documents to scan. Do not send us PDF's found elsewhere.

- Microfiche - We need to find all microfiche even for later model cars if we can. I can help get the scanning done if we have a good source of unscratched original microfiche.

Thanks Mike,

I didn't know about the exclusion of FAST, and I had been exploring Microfiche scanning-I have a full set(suposably from the beginning of the fische program to the end)-but haven't verified it in terms of qualtiy or time frame. I will hunt a bulb for my reader later in the week and check them out.

Enigma also has some Fische!

Will

One further note, if you have something over sized to contribute, please PM Mike and send it to him, he has the copy write exemption, and can take those documents larger than letter or legal size to a professional shop that won't touch them without the exemption.

Those items that are not oversized and do not require the use of professional services, I can still handle, but on the big stuf there is no point in adding more postage and time to the project.

Will

I have a thought ... would it be possible to include a 'Frequently Asked Question Page in the DVD that would be easy to search and reference.

An Example:

"What type of motor oil should you use?"

See threads: XXX

XXX

XXX

"How do I switch from FI to SU's?"

See Threads: XXX

XXX

XXX

Something like this. It would be a useful reference point for a lot of people. Could be something everyone can vote on what threads they found the most helpful for certain things. I know I have a few threads which I bookmarked.

Of course it could be something more suited to being on the website and not the Club DVD.

Will,

Sign me up for a CD. I have a 16 page book printed in 1974 by Datsun Competition Dept. called Datsun Competition Parts. These could be ordered through the dealer network. The cover has blue ink and the text is printed in black. It is 16 pages with 8 pages of 240z parts and the rest 510 parts. I am not sure if you have a copy of this, let me know. It has some very interesting parts that were available like 2 rearends (medium and large) with 3.90, 4.11, 4.44, 4.62, 4.87 and 5.13 gears with limited slip. The 3.90 setup was $300.

BobM

I have a thought ... would it be possible to include a 'Frequently Asked Question Page in the DVD that would be easy to search and reference.

This is a good idea, but, it might be difficult to cover everything on the CD. We do have a good FAQ section on the club website that can be modified and added to at anytime.

-- Mike

Thanks Mike,

I didn't know about the exclusion of FAST, and I had been exploring Microfiche scanning-I have a full set(suposably from the beginning of the fische program to the end)-but haven't verified it in terms of qualtiy or time frame. I will hunt a bulb for my reader later in the week and check them out.

Enigma also has some Fische!

Will

Will, does your reader have the ability to export to a file ? When I created the S30 microfiche, I paid a company to scan them using an automated system at ultra high resolution. We may need to do the same for the next CD. I just need to get my hands on the other series' microfiche in (hopefully) good condition.

-- Mike

This is a good idea, but, it might be difficult to cover everything on the CD. We do have a good FAQ section on the club website that can be modified and added to at anytime.-- Mike

Why let such a great resource go un-leveraged. Is that even a word? Anyway, why not just link to the online resources directly from the DVD? I assume we're not going to be viewing this from our TVs......although that's certainly possible if you're a true geek and already have a Windows or Linux based media center already set up in your home theater room. Honestly, I'd have one of I had the time to set it up. :)

Mike,

I have two vintage readers from my local Nissan Dealer-they are just an apropriate light bulb and optics!

Enigma,

My consergn would be using the fisch in the garage or trailer where there is no ISP. Granted a parts book has essentially the same info,and will also be on the DVD, but being able to verify between sources can be worth something! As well, paralleling a thread for a month or more back, having the info local means never losing it!

Will

I will list the competition parts catalogs I have over the weekend, The earliest is from '74, and I have several from the 80s- I'll scan them all even though there wasn't a great deal of change in the S30 parts as they added new Z models.

Will