IGNORED

OT - Man builds PERFECT scale Ferrari 312!

e_racer1999

My God this is amazing. Based on his estimates of the time it took to complete, you would have to work for 2.83 years, 24 hours a day non-stop without any sleep. At a conservative rate of $150/hr, it would cost roughly $3,000,000 to have someone make this for you.

I'd love to see a "little person" driving this thing around Hockenheim, Nurburgring, or more appropriately, Magny-Cours in France. Actually, I'd rather be that guy.

We have the same problem with scale boat & ship models: You can scale down the ship, but you can't sdcale down the water.

In the same way, you can scale down a car, but the effects of the wind, air, etc., won't exactly be the same, so you'll probably have to exaggerate some things on the car.

I wonder what the Heads of Ferrari think about this? I think it'd be great if they invited this guy to Modena (or wherever) for a photo shoot with the 1:1 scale version, maybe let him do a lap in it...

More likely they are trying to figure out how to sue him for making an un- compensated copy of their car...No sense of humor...

Will

actually, according to the link, Ferrari gave him the drawings to the gearbox so that he could try to make it. he didn't have the proper tools to do so, so the folks who manufactured the REAL gearbox made his for him!

*EDIT*

Perhaps the toughest aspect of the car was the gearbox, for which Ferrari supplied drawings. While Pierre had an understanding of the object to be built, he lacked the very expensive specialized equipment required to build high-tolerance gears and synchros. Colleti, the builder of the full-size car’s gearbox ended up building the model’s gearbox.