IGNORED

What is wrong with the 350Z?

hls30.com

What is wrong with the 350Z?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. What is wrong with the 350Z?

• 1) Nothing but nitpicky stuf!
    • 2) Too many accountants telling engineers/stylists what they can't do.
    • The wheels aren't right.
    • No forced induction version.
    • Too flashy interior
    • the interior is not flashy enough
    • The car wasn't ment to be a part of the grocery getting lifestyle.
    • Too many gizmos.
    • Fit and finish leaves a little to be desired.
    • Nissan didn't build in some performance that the after market charges too much for.
    • OMG it IS ugly!
    • It is too beautiful to drive on the street
    • Looks too much like a frog to be taken seriously-until you get left...
    • it is a mismash of design-elements are used once instead of repeatedly.
    • Are you nutZ the car is da bomb!!

Evan,

The proportions on the purple Z are just about as good as I would have hoped for. At some point it begins to remind me of the first generation Celica Supra from '79 to '81.

At least the headlights on the 350Z could have been round ovoid shapes which would have given the hint at the first generation Z cars. The taillights I feel could have been done a bit better and there are pictures on the web of some 350Z's with part of the taillights covered.

You are spot on. I live in Greer SC home of the BMW Plant and the Z4M Coupe reminds me of the 240Z alot. I don't like the front headlights but other than that it the Z4M Coupe rocks.

Mark,

It is interesting that you mention living in BMW's adopted home. I wish Nissan would perform some of the same type of customer fulfillment activities that BMW performs. For example, one can take delivery of their new BMW at the S.C. facility and also experience some track driving and classroom instruction while driving an identical car to the one they are buying. If Nissan had that type of program I would have gladly signed up and even paid for it willingly. As it was when I took delivery I got a handshake from the owner of the dealership and a few laughs when he stated that he wished it hadn't taken so long (25 years) between father's purchase (02/78) and son's purchase

(01/03).

how would the platform being shared between the 350z and g35 affect the bonnet length? i would of thought you could put the front seats where the rear seats are, and there's the solution? either way i think the bonnet lines and the reflection line along the side of the 350z are inspired by the 240z, and i wish my 260z had wheel flares like the 350z does.

i think i might do a better photoshop of the 340z tonight, sounds like a good way to procrastinate from study

*edit: and here it is

post-6954-14150798831622_thumb.jpg

how would the platform being shared between the 350z and g35 affect the bonnet length? i would of thought you could put the front seats where the rear seats are, and there's the solution? either way i think the bonnet lines and the reflection line along the side of the 350z are inspired by the 240z, and i wish my 260z had wheel flares like the 350z does.

i think i might do a better photoshop of the 340z tonight, sounds like a good way to procrastinate from study

*edit: and here it is

Gotta say your mod of the 350Z works for me!

Will,

I now understand what you're asking. I'll try to respond in a way that is possible to follow. Design really isn't smoke and mirrors but it is sometimes subtle. In that I'm only trying to identify a "whiff" of Z and not elements of the 240, I may be able to do it.

To break it down I'll refer to three different design elements.

1.The first would be proportion. The 350 shares the major proportional elements as much as was possible with the previous Z's. The package hard points require that the cowl, front overhang, radiator clearance, wheel base, OAH and length be held (there are many others). Thus the designer has to work around them. As was mentioned in another thread it would be nice to put the driver in the back seat and make the hood longer, It's just not possible. Anyway, with the constraints of the package the 350 still manages to accommodate some of the proportion that the earlier Z's had.

2. The second would be form vocabulary (shape) and stance. Although the strongest part of the form is very different from the Z's, there is some feeling of the latest 300ZX in there somewhere. The gesture and stance are very much Z. Maybe even a bit of a cartoon or caricature of the earlier Z cars. I see it in the extreme hook in the upper center line falling quickly to the rear which terminates as expected at the deck edge where the belt shape also terminates. I think all Z's share that strong element. The hood also shares the character of the Z's even if it's not as long. It does fall dramatically and not return at the nose. The movement is chopped as the profile reaches the front and not looped or redirected down or back.

3. Graphics are the things that are drawn on the shape that aren't shape themselves. I think of shape as 3-D and graphics as 2-D. The Graphic statement would have been the easiest way to make the 350 look more like a Z. In this case , however the graphics were used to make the car more contemporary. The grill is the only graphic element that I see as Z like. The rest tends to make the Z qualities harder to notice.

I know that there is counter opinion out there and it's just as valid as mine. I'm only trying to share what I feel. I hope folks can understand even if the disagree.

Hope this helps, Larry

Having driven the 350, the only thing I found wrong with it are the reliability concerns. I had every intension of buying one after an hour behind the wheel. I was aware of the tire feathering problem, and was willing to live with it, but after reading countless posts of guys on their 3rd or 4th transmission I could no longer go for it. Seems they might have it squared away with the newest tranny (009) but they haven't been on the road long enough to see if they have truly fixed the synchro glitches. I tried really hard to talk myself into it though.

I've driven damn near everything worth driving, and this is a fantastic car at any price. I couldn't care less if it's ugly (which it is), because I buy cars to drive them, not look at them. Heck, Chevy hasn't built a good looking Vette since the 60's.

What new car does look good? I like the new MINI. I liked the E46 M3 but the new BMW's are awful. Have you seen the WRX? Porsche makes great looking cars if you can afford the price of admission.

Give me a 350Z with a solid 6 speed and I'll be a happy camper. Hopefully Nissan will still do that. If they resyle it to look more like the originals, all the better!