IGNORED

Anti-Sway bars

red_dog007

As usual, Carl is correct. A rear anti-sway bar will stiffen up the suspension and it will even feel 'better' when you're on the throttle in some twisties. But you really have to be anticipating the rear wheels breaking loose at all times....I had a '68 510 (with a 2.2 liter engine) with a Quickor bar in the rear and cut-down Roadster springs (super stiff) and I had to swap to some softer springs because the rear end was constantly trying to come around me in turns.

I have purchased a rear bar for my Z, but I have yet to install it. Still trying to decide if I really want to deal with the harshness that it's going to add to the suspension, not to mention the driveability issues.

I'm going to disagree with Carl. If you're not going to put significantly stiffer than stock springs on, then the swaybars can really help to control body roll which is extremely excessive in my opinion on the stock Z. Putting a stiffer bar up front and nothing in the back would make the car tend even more towards understeer than they do in stock form. I don't think you need to be Mario Andretti to control a Z with a rear bar either. That's been my experience anyway.

As usual, Carl is correct. A rear anti-sway bar will stiffen up the suspension and it will even feel 'better' when you're on the throttle in some twisties. But you really have to be anticipating the rear wheels breaking loose at all times....I had a '68 510 (with a 2.2 liter engine) with a Quickor bar in the rear and cut-down Roadster springs (super stiff) and I had to swap to some softer springs because the rear end was constantly trying to come around me in turns.

I have purchased a rear bar for my Z, but I have yet to install it. Still trying to decide if I really want to deal with the harshness that it's going to add to the suspension, not to mention the drive-ability issues.

I found a stock bar on a early 260Z , they have a curve bent in it so it will clear the front of he diff. They aren't real stiff but they help quite a bit to limit the body roll . It still provides me with a good ride as well . I am not into auto X or track use . I just do a fair amount of mountain driving and recommend this up grade. My '73 240 had the brackets on the floor pan already for the rubber block that holds the bar on each side , so for me it was a simple upgrade. Fabricating the bracket would be a simple matter and just weld it to the underside like Nissan did and you are good to go . If you would like a picture let me know. I just last night finished the installation of a set of Euro Stage 1 springs and KYB struts . As soon as I finish torquing things down properly with weight in the car I will give her a try. The Bar has been installed for a couple of years Gary

Also give some thought to the fact that a big bar in the rear on a car with an open diff can actually slow you down when autocrossing (or other hard cornering), as the bar tends to unload the inside rear tire in really hard cornering, making for lots of wheelspin. When I was autocrossing in my old 323i, I disconnected the rear bar for best times. Later I installed a limited slip and could then leave the bar hooked up.