IGNORED

Anti-Sway bars

red_dog007

Well, I was thinking about these a few days ago to put onto my stock 240z one day in the near future. I thought that these things were going to be no more then $200 and I was going to purchase them when I get out in California to pick up my Z.

Well, looking over at Black Dragon, a set costs $430!!! :tapemouth

Is getting the set worth it for a stock 240z that is going to be recieving mild modifications in its lifetime with me? Will I see any major handling differences compared to stock?

Or should I just spend that $430 on something else?

I would go with Suspension Techniques bars, and not the MSA bars. The MSA unit requires you to drill holes in the floor and at least on my car it was binding against the floor and the frame pretty badly.

The cheapest place to get the Suspension Techniques bars is from Summit racing, I want to say they were under $300 for both bars.

I have a 23 MM bar in the front and only a 19mm bar in the rear. The difference between having a rear sway bar and not was phanominal.

Definately add the rear sway bar. I do some hard cornering and let me tell ya, It's nice to take a corner and NOT have your wheels rub on the fender.

I recently purchased a set of the ST sway bars. I finished installing the fronts a week ago and I am now working on the rear.

As John Coffey pointed out, Summit Racing is the cheapest place to buy the ST bars. However, when I ordered mine at the beginning of August, they were on a 4 week back order that turned into 6 weeks.

Edit: Wow, looks like they have more in stock as they are showing Ship Today. They say steel gray, but be forewarned that they do come in flourescent green as well.

FrontAssembly.JPG

.......snipped....

Is getting the set worth it for a stock 240z that is going to be recieving mild modifications in its lifetime with me? Will I see any major handling differences compared to stock?

Or should I just spend that $430 on something else?

Hi Luke:

In stock form - the 240-Z will exhibit a significant amount of body roll in harder or higher speed turns. This can be a little unsettling if your not totally at peace with the car. Nonetheless, if you have taken any number of drivers training courses, with good instructors and in the process developed a good feel for the 240-Z... you'd be amazed at what it's capable of even in pure stock form. (I've taken a few hot laps around Portland International Raceway with John Morton driving, in both pure stock 510's and 240-Z's..simply unbelievable, and we didn't leave the track nor rollover even once!)

IMHO - the first thing you want to spend money on is great tires.

Adding a larger front anti-sway bar, along with better shocks would be my second expenditure. This will greatly reduce body roll without adding a significant amount of harshness to a street driven car. For the use you describe for your Z - I'd stop there.

At that point the normal body roll in cornering would be greatly reduced, and you'd still have a bit of understeer combined with some complaining from the tires as they reach their limit of adhesion. This is an important feedback loop... tires screaching tell you that you are most likely approaching your limit....

Adding a large rear anti-sway bar in addition to the above - will make the Z handle more in the neutral zone. The car will feel flatter in the corners, and you won't get so much complaining from the tires as you approach their limit. While this may seem like a good thing at first blush... I don't believe it is a good thing for the average driver on the highway. (I feel I'm an average driver).

Pushed just a little harder with the front/rear anti-sway bars and stiffer shocks .. the handling will transition from neutral to over-steer somewhat unexpectedly, and you'll find yourself spinning off the corner. (As will lifting off the throttle suddenly when you enter a corner too hot ). Believe me when I say - you won't believe how suddenly nor unexpectedly this will happen as you pass the limits of tire adhesion to the road. (been there done that - a few times).

The bottom line for me is - a little body roll and tire screeching are a good thing for most of us. As is a little understeer. If your going Road Racing.. and you are a competent driver...that's a whole different world.

I'd recommend only upgrading the front anti-sway bar for street use and combine that with better shocks.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl Beck

Clearwater, FL USA

http://ZHome.com

Hi Bo:

Amen...

I was driving a 67 911S when I bought my first 240-Z in 1970.

After you quit shaking and looking back on it - it was kind of funny the first time it happened to you...

I'm pretty sure that the phrase; "keep the pedal to the metal" - originated with Porsche...

Just too funny....

regards,

Carl B.