IGNORED

Restoration is back on track (with a lot of help)

Mike

While I was never a big fan of the "matchbox gray" as W. Humble describes it...
Ha! While I recall seeing that term in Humble's book, and I agree that the description of the color is accurate, as a long-time collector of vintage Lesney die-cast toys the term "Matchbox" brings to my mind things not at all related to Datsuns. LOL

Looking good Mike, glad to see you went forward with it. With all the yellow cars in the area keeping mine 918 orange. I am not a big fan of the tail light finishers the same as the car but, then it is not my car. I am going to put mine back to the original color. Can not wait to get the windows back in mine.

I'm really looking forward to getting to the body/paint part on mine. There are lots of yellow Zs in Oregon (Mike's, beandip's, azcarbum's), but none in original 919 yellow, so mine will still be a bit unique. I can't wait.

Great, now my car is demanding to go to Oregon to see all of it's yellow siblings! If this keeps up, we're going to need a yellow car subgroup! Seriously, glad to see the restoration back underway, that car is going to look terrific when it's done! BTW, what color of yellow is that?

Great, now my car is demanding to go to Oregon to see all of it's yellow siblings! If this keeps up, we're going to need a yellow car subgroup! Seriously, glad to see the restoration back underway, that car is going to look terrific when it's done! BTW, what color of yellow is that?
Doug, your car (and you, presumably) are welcome to come out West to visit any time. Just let me know, I'll have a bottle of homebrew waiting for you.

As for the yellow-ness, I recall Mike calling his "Ferrari Racing Yellow". (Probably ought to kill the ad in the USA Cars For Sale forum, Mike.) Beandip's car is a Mustang GT color, as partially seen in the attached picture. Azcarbum's 280Z is similar to Gary's in color, with graphics. My car's factory yellow looks rather pale in comparison, but VERY '70s.

post-8596-14150798226716_thumb.jpg

Is it my imagination or is the left side (driver's) tail-light finisher in flat black?

Look at the pic of the bumper, and compare it to the one of the passenger tail light / finisher.

E

to me it looks like the taillight gasket just draped over the outside of the lens (awaiting installation).

nice paint, but i vote for the original finish on the panel.

I'm going to have to see it head-on when its all together, but that pic makes the rear finisher look pretty good. It look clean, and you still have the metal trim to give it a 'touch' of contrast, but as Escanlon says it is just a tad washed out. From how it looks there, I think it will look really nice when its done. Post a pic of the complete rear so we can have a look at it.

Zak

Bart:

The pic I was referring to:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13830&d=1156272640

If you look you'll note that the black surround above and below the lens is kind of a flat black and way too big to be any of the gaskets back there. Besides, the tail light gasket would have already been installed, as evidenced in this shot:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13832&d=1156272652

E

It's looking great Mike. I think the finishing panel looks fine, although I too prefer the contrast the darker finished provide. I think a satin black looks the best with bright colors like yellow or red, but the stock gray look pretty good with darker colors. In any event, congrats on getting things back underway.

Is that some rust I see on the inside of the roof, or old adhesive?