IGNORED

Freeze plug ?

NY " Z "

Hey guys

I'm slowly moving along with my project

I would like to know if there is a preferred sealant for the gaskets and threaded parts and is it necessary to use a sealant on freeze plugs?

The guy at auto supply recommended - BLACK SILICONE adhesive sealant by Permatex for everything.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

THANKS.

post-9632-14150797852573_thumb.jpg

post-9632-14150797853147_thumb.jpg

I have always used permatex form-a-gasket . It was recommended to me by a top notch mechanic . I cannot compaire it to anything since I never have had it fail. I have had the black sylicone come off stuff when I have used it and have not been imressed with it and wont use it any longer .

I've used a thin coat of Form-a-Gasket on the freeze plugs, Copper Kote for the gaskets and plumber's teflon tape for threaded parts. Over 20 years, no problems so far. I only use RTV to supplement things that don't seal well like tail light gaskets.

• 4 years later...

Just doing this job so I figured I would add to the site's content:

The form-a-gasket is great stuff: Cleans up with alcohol and not as messy as RTV.

I found that using a socket as a driver without the extension works best.

FYI I used the Black Dragon kit that includes the 7 side freeze plugs, the front and back freeze plugs as well as the front oil passage plug. I have read that the brass "marine grade" plugs are best as they do not rust.

Procedure I followed:

Engine in normal position.

Remove old freeze plug: Use 1/4" punch and hammer to drive in on the right side, grab edge with pliers and use claw on hammer against block to lever on pliers.

Engine at 90 degrees on stand so that working surface with plug holes is like a table.

Sand edge of hole and edge of plug with 320 grit. Wipe with alcohol.

Apply sealant to edge of hole and to edge of plug.

Sit plug on hole and align.

. Repeat with other plugs on same side. (this allows the first plug's sealant time to set.

Drive plugs in with 27mm socket. Plug edge is flush with motor.

Wipe up sealant with alcohol

attachment.php?attachmentid=45768&d=1306945575

attachment.php?attachmentid=45767&d=1306945563

post-7641-14150815128471_thumb.jpg

post-7641-14150815128894_thumb.jpg

Edited by Blue