IGNORED

How far will Maaco go for you?

TomoHawk

When I was looking for a place to paint my car I took it to the local Maaco to see what they would say. I inquired about their top of the line paint job, I don't remember what it was called, but I think the base price was 1500.

When I asked the guy behind the counter what that all included.. he said it would be paint, some body prep.. which I took to mean light sanding and such.

When I asked if that would included removing the head light buckets to make sure that the paint would cover in between the seams.. he said no, and that I wouldn't need to worry about it "Because when they sprayed the paint on they would sprayed it so that the paint would drip into the seams for coverage.... Ok that really wasn't the answer I was looking for. I ended up taking the car to a local paint, and body shop to have the work done.

I personally think that the success or failure that you get at a Maaco really depends on the amount of work you do prior to having the car painted, and ultimately on the guy shooting the paint.

This was just my own experience with this particular Maaco.

I had a '68 Datsun roadster that went to the Maaco in Palo Alto, CA three times for body and paint, and each time I felt it was a good deal. This shop has been owned by the same folks for many years, and they really take pride in doing a good job at a fair price. Maaco seems to be able to quote a whole paint job for what other shops quote for the paint alone.

First time, my fault, I spun the roadster in the rain and ended up caroming off a mini van. Insurance took care of the mini van, but I was on my own for the roadster. Left rear 1/4 panel was pretty badly tweeked. They beat out the panel, rechromed the rear bumper, and repainted the whole car including removing lights and emblems for about $2,000. This was a daily driver, and not a show car, but I got a lot of people at Solvang and Mt. Shasta who were amazed at how good a Maaco job could look.

Next time, I got rear ended by a Beemer. He paid. Maaco again did the body work and a lot of prep work before painting. It was less than $2,000 and came out looking pretty good.

Third time, I gave the car to my son. He rear-ends another car, both sides in front get crunched, but not too bad. This one was a little more, and he had it painted a different color, so they also did the door jams, and some under the hood and trunk.

So the Maaco process does work in my book, but a lot depends on who owns the shop too.

I would probably have the hood, doors & hatch off. The hood would get media blasted ( undercoating on the bottom side), maybe I would have the windshield & hatch glass removed, and everything then painted.

Do you think they would paint the inside?

When I was looking for a place to paint my car I took it to the local Maaco to see what they would say. I inquired about their top of the line paint job, I don't remember what it was called, but I think the base price was 1500.

When I asked the guy behind the counter what that all included.. he said it would be paint, some body prep.. which I took to mean light sanding and such.

When I asked if that would included removing the head light buckets to make sure that the paint would cover in between the seams.. he said no, and that I wouldn't need to worry about it "Because when they sprayed the paint on they would sprayed it so that the paint would drip into the seams for coverage.... Ok that really wasn't the answer I was looking for. I ended up taking the car to a local paint, and body shop to have the work done.

I personally think that the success or failure that you get at a Maaco really depends on the amount of work you do prior to having the car painted, and ultimately on the guy shooting the paint.

This was just my own experience with this particular Maaco.

Just wondering which Maaco this was? was it the one in bremerton Wa.?

And as far as what answers you were looking for, sounds to me like you spoke to a sales rep or someone who really dosnt know his job and how easy his bodyman can do simple de-trimming things like headlight buckets etc

for a bodyman thats easy money...hell its just 4 screws...ea.

I would probably have the hood, doors & hatch off. The hood would get media blasted ( undercoating on the bottom side), maybe I would have the windshield & hatch glass removed, and everything then painted.

Do you think they would paint the inside?

They will if you bring it ready to go :) or pay them to take everything out..

personally, I would remove the interior components myself, if i was dropping

off a car at a bodyshop. (knowing how brittle those interior parts can be in a

Z car)

I took my Z to the local Maaco guys this morning. All mine really needs now is a little prep, sanding and paint. They quoted a really good price for their best paint. The owner also promised that my Z would be locked inside the building without me even asking him to.

Im good friends with one of the Owners in Indy, which shop did you take it to?

If its Sam Awad's (owners name) shop I can call him and put in a good word for your car :)

Hey Lance,

You should post some pictures of your demo Z with the half paint job for everyone to see. I was incredibly impressed with the quality of the work. I mean there was some overspray on the rubber, but what do you expect for that type of price? The shine and color were incredible.

If you're in So Cal. I would give a lot of thought to having Lance do your paint work. He is a Z guy after all! Tell me you didn't pull the motor out of that beautiful blue Z!

ok ok I got those pics uploaded finally :)

The drivers side of the car looked WORSE that the pass. side before we painted it, and at least 1 dent on every panel. Also a couple rust spots at the bottom of the fender & door, roof was dented, so was the area around the dr. side taillight.

my bodyman put a days work into it, then all I did was let the "paintline" guys

do thier normal sanding/priming/masking prep work to it. the sanders did what we call "value prep" sanding. its a sanding / primer/sealer package that about 99% of the older cars really need. then we shot it with

Sherwin Williams Paint, Single Stage, "ambassador" paint. (our lowest price paint service) the one that you see on TV for 249.00. I tried to

pull the orginal factory color mix but because it was a "leaded" paint (used in 1971) I couldnt mix the exact factory paint "recipe" I was forced to do a color matching.

Anyways let me know what you think.

The old and crusty side view :

p52000020rv.th.jpg

front view:

p52000038vn.th.jpg

back view: little puffy clouds, good reflection...

p52000102vm.th.jpg

another back view showing old crusty unpainted side:

p52000094go.th.jpg

Back view Pianted side:

p52000079uj.th.jpg

side view painted:

p52000065zp.th.jpg

frontish view painted:

p52000056qb.th.jpg

Hey Jackboxxx,

Thanks man! I took it to the Maaco of South Indy. I also told them I wanted the jams, hatch and underhood all done. It was included with my estimate. They guy liked my Z. He said the only bad spot he saw was where one of my daughter's friends hit it with her bike.

Lance good post, thought your prices for your services were very reasonable and if I could get my Z to look like that Nova, I would be a very happy camper. I'm only 3k miles away and still wish I could get mine to your shop. Maaco should start to work on ads that will focus on the companies changes in the way they are doing business. What people "hear" when they see the commercials is the cheap paint job. In business it has always been my experience that proclaiming your strong points and promoting from there leads to more satisfaction for you and your customers. You get better customers and more cash! That may be in the works, haven't seen a commercial in awhile. Send some pics of the blue Z and its progress!!

Well, I do have a friend in a place called "Ashville? NC...who just built a Maaco shop there a few months ago, Is that close enough to you?

Id be happy to give Brad a call when your ready...

Looks good Lance. It would be nice if we started developing a list by region or state of people who do good reasonable priced work (for the work done) on cars like our Z's.

well Ive got about 15 or so owners that im good friends with across the country, and would be willing to help any of the Z people out in setting up

paint jobs. The owners I know, are in: So Cal. (me) LOL

San Leandro/San francisco area,

Bremerton Wa. area,

San Deigo Ca. (el cajon)

St Louis Mo.

Indianapolis IN.

3 in Texas, dallas, houston, & Pasadena TX .

Ashville NC

Waterford CT

Laurel MD

and 1 friend in Canada...

if I can help just let me know