IGNORED

Triple SU set up at the Nationals

240ZGL

I was with Steve during his manufacturing of his 3-SU set-up. He believes the theory of the "pulse" issue is moot with the cross-over tube in place. He wanted to see if it would work. It does! I drove his white Z just before he took it to the Nationals. I do know it really has a strong kick at 4K. It pulls all the way up. I turned it 6500 before I shifted and it was very strong.

We have talked about the use of a dyno. He does not want to take the 3-carb unit off to do the 2-carb test. I cannot fault his logic! If Epperly says it works, trust me... It works!

• 1 year later...

<<

Quote:

Kinda makes you wonder about a guy thats supposedly a SU guru, who goes forth with a tripple SU set-up!!!? Hmmmmmm!

To me this reads like a backhanded comment. You are clearly questioning the competency of Steve, and his business. I didn't like it, and didn't agree with it, and said so.

Everyone on this list with a 240Z or 260Z are potential clients of Z Therapy. They could read your comment and get the wrong idea.

>>

Contrary to how Tom, aka 240ZX made it sound, I would also like to say I completely recommend Steve at Ztherapy.com for your total SU needs. Even if you just have a simple question, or be lucky enough to live within driving distance, you can actually just show up at the shop and ask some questions, and pick up a little part, like some fuel rubber hoses on the bottoms of the carbs, etc...he is an expert regarding SU carburetors and I recommend him for anyone on our forum. I think it is AWESOME he did that 3 SU setup...it just looks so good, and you can really blow somebody away by showing that setup to somebody. Yeah, its obvious the air vacuum pulse thing doesn't make it fly. The comment made it sound like something else altogether...

• 8 years later...
On 5/2/2006 at 5:50 AM, deadflo said:

There was a feature article in the old Z car magazine about a guy who had done a similar set up. The article mostly focused on his short stroke hi revving setup.I remember the car was the Baby poop yellow color, and a unique rubber door guard strip. I recall the strip because years later I saw the same car on a Z club website. I beleive the car resides in the pacfic northwest somewhere. Anyone know the car I'm referring to?

Wow, I seem to be resurrecting a 10 year old thread here, but some websearching on triple SUs led me here. So i just signed up to the forum from the UK to comment and try and research my car.

@deadflo, I know the car you referred to because i have a copy of that Z Car Magazine article. I own another triple SU car mentioned in the same article, not the yellow one in British Colombia, but a red one built by a friend of the yellow car owner. My car, the red one, later found it's way from BC to Texas in the 2000s, making me wonder if that owner was the unnamed person referred to by kmack. I know that owners id too, as the car was featured in a Z Club of Texas mag which i also have copy of.

I bought the car last year, and have made contact with the BC owner/engine builder which has helped me to in some of the cars history. But there is more to track down if its Texas years before it came to the UK for new.  only last weekend i took it to Japfest at Silverstone racetrack.

Thanks for dredging up this old topic, bluejon. Fairly recently I saw a guy on Facebook who went the 3 SU route, but this guy used flat tops (hitachi 73-74 eras) of all things.He said he did it essentially just to be different and freak people out. Not sure how his tuning efforts on that have been going. Maybe he is a member on here? I havent been on here much until recently again, so I'm not sure.

On ‎03‎/‎05‎/‎2006 at 1:23 PM, deadflo said:

Well thats what i ws trying to get across in my message, that there was a fellow who had custom fabricated a triple SU setup on his 70 240-Z that was in a pretty big write up in Z car magazine, back in the 90's. I guess no one who has read this thread remembers it. I will dig through my issues to try to give you more specifics. Again i found a pic of this very same car in the last year or two on a z club website. Which one Im not sure. But the photo showed the car somewhere in British Columbia.Ring any bells?

In the article, the owner creates his '263Z' by bringing together an L28 block with 240Z crankshaft and flat-top pistons.  An E31 head is retained and moderate regrind of a 280Z camshaft.  Then comes the work to convert to triple SUs .. he designed his own manifold castings from first sketches to wooden patterns for sand molds, and then manufactured them using old Detriot aluminium manifolds from a junkhard donor.  Throttle linkages, balance tubes, fuel lines etc. were custom fabricated.  Finally an exhaust header is added, 2 1/2 inch exhaust and lightened flywheel.   My car follows a similar approach by the guys friend, but retained the 280Z crankshaft.  NB.  I know that the yellow car featured in the article was eventually sold down to Oregon in 2003 after 27 years with that owner . maybe (hopefully) it is still on the road?

Love the photo!  I had the triple SU's on my car right when Steve had them built.  I thought he was going to start building manifolds to sell, but, that project may have been abandoned.  I'm heading to Salem next week and maybe I can stop by his place to see how the team is doing.  Steve isn't a big computer guy so he doesn't visit this site much, but @Bruce Palmer works with Ztherapy and might be able to provide us with an update on the triple SU project.

• 2 years later...
On 4/27/2016 at 1:40 PM, bluejon said:

In the article, the owner creates his '263Z' by bringing together an L28 block with 240Z crankshaft and flat-top pistons.  An E31 head is retained and moderate regrind of a 280Z camshaft.  Then comes the work to convert to triple SUs .. he designed his own manifold castings from first sketches to wooden patterns for sand molds, and then manufactured them using old Detriot aluminium manifolds from a junkhard donor.  Throttle linkages, balance tubes, fuel lines etc. were custom fabricated.  Finally an exhaust header is added, 2 1/2 inch exhaust and lightened flywheel.   My car follows a similar approach by the guys friend, but retained the 280Z crankshaft.  NB.  I know that the yellow car featured in the article was eventually sold down to Oregon in 2003 after 27 years with that owner . maybe (hopefully) it is still on the road?

Bluejon you remember the 263Z very well.  It is still roadworthy and I acquired it in 2018.  It now lives in my garage in SW Washington.  I had been the second highest bidder when it sold on eBay in 2002.  After flirting with a purchase on two other occasions we finally did a deal last year.  It has the dual carbs and I sent a note off to the who fabricated the triple carb manifold earlier today - I'm hoping he still has them.       

Bill

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2019 at 12:28 AM, 263Zed said:

Bluejon you remember the 263Z very well.  It is still roadworthy and I acquired it in 2018.  It now lives in my garage in SW Washington.  I had been the second highest bidder when it sold on eBay in 2002.  After flirting with a purchase on two other occasions we finally did a deal last year.  It has the dual carbs and I sent a note off to the who fabricated the triple carb manifold earlier today - I'm hoping he still has them.       

Bill

Hello Bill.  So you acquired the yellow Z?   Do you have a copy of the Z Car Magazine article that it featured in .. if not I'll be very happy to send you a copy.  I'm interested that you say the car now has reverted to dual carbs ... were the triples removed at some point in its history?   Perhaps this was after the British Columbia owner sold the car on.   We should certainly double check we are talking about the same car (!) .. if we are referring to the same one, then I think my car and yours are like cousins.   Best regards from the UK