IGNORED

Header pics question!

olie05

Hi Olie,

Good questions....

My main question is how much of an increase in performance is this header design over the standard header design? For comparison reasons, i'd say compared to an equal length header that immediately goes straight down after the ports instead of curving out? These few pictures are the only ones i've seen with these types of headers, and I'd like to know if you can liken the performance gains to that of a "long tube" style header.

I would have to refer to Pete Brock on your questions above. I would think that this design is "older" technology, and that current designs by Jere Stahl might be a better solution, and significantly more affordable, but not as unique looking. You see I dont have a benchmark for this header solution. This is a replica and therefore I did not do extensive testing with this header, (as accuracy to the original car was more important). I would think that a current design with a stepped header would perform better than the BRE header from a performance standpoint.

Gerry Mason, has been very successful running this header in vintage events on his original BRE car though, and I think that you could say that this header performs well, it is an equal length header with long primary tubes. I know that Gerry has used this design on his current tube frame race car as well and his car did very well at the runoffs two years ago.

I hope that helps....Again please let me know if you have any more questions.

I am sure it is, but the cost involved would be prohibitive.

I know Mr. Brock pretty well, and I a sure I could get licensing from him to do this, so they would be true "BRE" headers. But this design is VERY hard to reproduce and I assure you there would be no way to get 50 orders to make them, thus make them reasonably priced to reproduce.

These headers were so difficult to make that BRE sold a different design (manufactured by Cyclone) over the counter to racers back in the day.

So unfortunately it is not having them reproduced, there is no way to make them affordable enough by producing enough of them to make financial sense.

I have gone down this path, with the fiberglass Z car race dashes, and you can't sell enough of them to break even.

Ron's headers are very unique. I would guess that $500 would probably get you 2 of the 6 tubes (am I about right Ron?).

I have two versions of the Jere Stahl header. In my gallery is a low end torque version for a streetable Z. It was custom made for me back in 1977 for about $550. It has smaller diameter primaries than available aftermarket versions today.

The second Stahl header I have is ported to a full race John Caldwell head. It has massive primaries with two versions of slip on collectors. One set of collectors are dual 2.25" (for short tracks. Willow Springs, Lime Rock, etc) and the others are dual 3" for long tracks (Road America, Brainard, Daytona, etc).

The workmanship on both is outstanding and almost as cool as Ron's.

Olie, if you want something unique than by all means go for it!

Panchovisa is right, about 2.25 tubes for $500.00 ;)

I spoke to Jere Stahl some time ago and am buying one of his headers for my FIA 510 project. Jere, who has been building race headers forever builds about the best product for a Datsun you can get, short of a completely custom solution....

So, do you want to "look" cool or be fast?

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=13051&cat=3187

thats my dream header ... yeah I wish.

anyone have pics of a nice custom header, somewhat in the style of the one i posted?

or does anyone have any more information on this header?

thanks

Oliver

I guess if all else fails, you could always resort to the drastic measure of asking the person who took the photo whether he knows anything about it..........

:)

I actually want both, but if i had to choose it would definitely be "to be fast"

No point in modifying something on the engine for LESS performance!

after looking at the stahl headers, I think that might be the route to go, although I might just have to make a set of "spaghetti" headers, and test the difference in power on a dyno.

edit:

sorry Alan, I was hoping you would chime in on this thread, but i should have asked you first. :)

can you please provide your info on the picture you took?

thanks,

Oliver

edit:

sorry Alan, I was hoping you would chime in on this thread, but i should have asked you first. :)

can you please provide your info on the picture you took?

thanks,

Oliver

Oliver,

I remember speaking to the owner of the car at Sagamiko. Some of the parts were nice, and some of the engineering work on the car was good, but I don't think we shared the same viewpoint on matters of taste........

I think I made some notes at the time or shortly afterwards. I'll see if I can dig them up.

Bear with me whilst I try to find them..........

Alan T.

Looks like it but I don't see fuel lines...do the FI cars have that same throttle linkage? Why am I asking instead of walking to the garage...:lick:

If you look close, you can see a black fuel filter in the upper left hand side, a silver fuel pressure regulator in the upper right, all connected to a fuel rail with a blue tube connecting the two halfs.