IGNORED

skyline on ebay!!

zeewhiz

Well, we're at $6,600 USD now, with 3 days to go, and the reserve hasn't been met.

And this is for a Skyline GT-X (not an R) that is a roller. It doesn't come with the S20A engine or even the correct L20A, it comes with a generic rebuilt L28 that you get to install yourself. Its also had a bad repaint job from silver to white, there's white overspray all over the interior, has rust, is missing the carpet, missing the shift knob, and is probably missing a few unique exterior and interior trim pieces.

Its not a bad car but, at least IMHO, the price has exceeded what I was willing to pay. A 240Z in similar shape is worth $2,000 here in Southern California. This car is probably worth double that in the condition its in because of its rarity and the "Skyline" mystique.

EDIT: The seller does have excellent eBay feedback and everyone who has bought a car from him is happy, so that counts a lot. A lot of those cars are charity donations that the seller somehow gets and resells. That might be th ekind of business he's in.

The reserve could be $6601 - who knows. I was just commenting on the current bid price. Yes you could buy a nice Z, but that would be boring (in comparison). Uniqueness adds a LOT of value to a car. Anyway, just because it's exceeded what you would pay doesn't mean it's way out of line. Just, someone wants it more :)

Will be interesting to see how much it gets up to... no doubt it's not the best condition - I just hope they see the car before buying. It could be a lot worse than the pictures show.

As the old saying goes, "Its worth what someone is willing to pay." And my perspective on what cars are worth is obviously warped after watching someone pay $110,000 (+ 8% buyer's commission, + $350 bidder fee) USD for a frickin' Amphicar at the Barrett Jackson auction.

Ho-kay . . . . Japan prices on these just for comparison sake. Be mindful, these prices are for turn-key, running autos. Some are even fully licensed.

Car Sensor: Low end - 980,000, 2.0 stock motor. High end - 2,510,000, 2.8 modified motor (triples, cam, exhaust system). 4 car average - 2,119,500, all 2 door GT/GTX with 2.8 motors in various stages of modification.

Yahoo Japan: Low end - 1,500,000, 2.8 motor. High end - 3,500,000, 2.8 motor, fully restored. 7 car average - 2,232,710, all 2 door GT/GTX with 2.8 motors in various stages of modification.

Here's the link to the 3.5 million yen car. http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r19449875

Well, for $6,600.00 and another $10 - $12,000.00 to get it fixed, it may well be worth 3.5 million yen one day . . .

What I find amazing about this auction is that the vendor has the balls to write this:

"Up for auction is a very desirable 1972 Skyline GTR."

The auction title also states: "1972 Nissan GTR".

If that isn't the most blatant misrepresentation then I don't know what is. Only Nissan could make a GT-R. Nobody can take a GT-X, swap a few parts around and call the car a 'GT-R' - especially without the S20 engine.

Shocking.

You cant really compar the cost of a 1972 skyline to the cost of a 1972 240z on American market. One is a common American sold car, the other is a rare import that was not available in that country.

Which is why old corvettes and mustang are sold for way more than they are worth in Australia. Why pay $20,000 or more an old mustang, when you can pick up a old falcon of the similar age for around $5000 or less.

apples and oranges.....

Oh, and theres a GT-X skyline in aus for sale for AU$30,000 (US$22,632 )

http://www.c-red.com.au/stock/kgc10/index.shtml

p.s. whats an amphicar? is that some sort of amphibiuos car?