IGNORED

How Fast Is Fast To You?

cremmenga

I've done about 155 on a sport bike (ZX6R) and i think the fastest i've ever gone in a car was 135 in a TT 300ZX i owned.

I did also go 128 in 10.3 sec in my old supercharged mustang LX.

The car makes a huge difference in the feeling of speed as well. When i did the 135 in the ZX i was playing with the radio, one hand on the wheel, in the mustang (full drag suspension, cage and skinnies) you had to hold on/drive for your life. That 128 felt like 200+

I've always been a 1/4 mile guy, in my older age i'd really like to do some twisties/scca. I can't ever seem to figure out how to get involved in something like that. Some day.

Around 120mph in my Z - lots of noise at that speed.

Another good run was 230kph in a Nissan S13 ("200sx" over here).

But personal best was as a passenger at approx. 140mph in a series III Jaguar Sovereign (V12) with four in the car, snow skiis on the roof and a loaded trunk.

I was out in the middle of nowhere on a 2 lane road at night and took my 280 up to 100MPH. I was scared and as soon as i hit 100 i started breaking. I just wanted to be able to tell people i could do it and that is the last time i will out on a highway i don't know. Even with a full moon and my brights on, That is probably the dumbest thing i have ever done and don't plan on doing it again any time soon.

I was out in the middle of nowhere on a 2 lane road at night and took my 280 up to 100MPH. I was scared and as soon as i hit 100 i started breaking. I just wanted to be able to tell people i could do it and that is the last time i will out on a highway i don't know. Even with a full moon and my brights on, That is probably the dumbest thing i have ever done and don't plan on doing it again any time soon.

If you think that is scary you should drive with me sometime!!! :bandit: LOL if you bike guys are interested in a fast bike i know of a champion R1 for sale with 1800 miles on it and CHEAP AS HELL, I couldnt beleive it!!

If you think that is scary you should drive with me sometime!!! :bandit: LOL if you bike guys are interested in a fast bike i know of a champion R1 for sale with 1800 miles on it and CHEAP AS HELL, I couldnt beleive it!!

Don't tempt me, resist, must resist :D I sold a regular R1 almost 2 years ago. I never rode it, but i miss it (And it was faster than anything anyone would ever need on 2 wheels). Those bikes are just plain sick!

I know like i said only 1800 miles on her and it is one of 1000 made that year, hints the champion edition. He bought it new last spring for like over $12,000 and now is wanting to sell it because he lost interest. I think he said he would sell it for $8,500, bc that would pay off the rest he still owes on it and how much a good down payment would cost him for this new pick up he wants! If you are interested PM me i'm not kidding man this thing flies, shuts off at 198 mph.

I don't think so...

I think you'd be going 186 MPH, only in the wrong direction. But according to your way of thinking, you'd only be going 514 MPH in the same direction as before (only slower)

It depends on your relative point-of-viewing. You'd have to be watching yourself go from some other point, as in geosynchronous orbit. But at about 24,000 miles away, you'd need a telescope to see yourself. To be going backwards 514 MPH , you'd have watch yourself to going 700 + 514 = 1214 MPH in the opposite direction.

Your math is off.

Early airplanes used to do this easily. Their flying speed was low enough that sometimes by flying INTO a high speed wing, they would actually be moving BACKWARDS over the terrain they were flying over.

To any observer, the plane was moving backwards, only if the pilot looked down and saw the ground, would he be aware that he was moving backwards.

In the example given by Beandip, standing still on the surface of the earth, you are still traveling the 700mph stated, with respect to a reference point NOT on the earth's surface (any object on the earth's surface would have the same traveling speed to that same reference point).

If you moved IN direction of the earth's spin, your speed, relative to the reference point, would be incremented by your speed over the surface of the earth. Simply put, your land speed would be ADDED to the earth's speed with respect tot he reference point.

AGAINST the direction of the earth, your speed would be SUBTRACTED from the earth's speed with respect to the reference point.

There are no negative figures with respect to speed except with reference to another point of reference. By definition speed is distance related to time, distance is always measured between two points, a negative distance does not exist. Speed is an ABSOLUTE term, i.e. it's value. Time is the same.

E

E