IGNORED

Firing order/ at head... did search..

kcdc

Hey, need some advice for a novice again.

I've learned know the firing order for a L28 is 153624 (counterclockwise) on the distributor, my questions is that when I trace the wires to the actual plugs on the head the order doesn't make sense to me (not in order as they come off the distributor, or in numerical order).

Please let me know the order (from front of the car to the firewall) that the sparkplug wires should be in at the plug itself. Is it 153624 as well?, if so, I've found my problem...

Thanks in advance...

KCDC

Keith

1976 280z

Hey, need some advice for a novice again.

I've learned know the firing order for a L28 is 153624 (counterclockwise) on the distributor, my questions is that when I trace the wires to the actual plugs on the head the order doesn't make sense to me (not in order as they come off the distributor, or in numerical order).

Please let me know the order (from front of the car to the firewall) that the sparkplug wires should be in at the plug itself. Is it 153624 as well?, if so, I've found my problem...

Thanks in advance...

There is only ONE firing order. 153624 Period.

The cylinders are numbered 1 thru 6. ONE is at the front of the engine, SIX is at the rear.

The Distributor fires the plug wires in sequential order (counterclockwise)

See attached picture of a 240Z distributor cap (for this purpose it's the same as one for a 280Z) The numbers shown indicate which CYLINDER (Spark Plug) that wire should be connected to.

The cylinders are numbered 1 thru 6. One is at the front of the engine, 6 is at the rear.

BEAUTIFUL, that's what I needed was the Cylinder numbers...THANKS...I had saved your Distributor picture with the numbers previously, that's a great referrence for the "novice group". I also liked waht I found in searching threads

15 - too youg

36 - too old

24 - just right

Hard to forget the firing order now.

The previous owner has the wires going to the wrong cylinders...My car should be running much better in about 45 seconds :D

Thanks again Captain Carl...

I hope that solves the problem you were having with the car running badly while warming up. I am surprised that it even ran well when warm with the wires out of sync. Let us know how it turns out and if that cold running problem goes away with the wires corrected.

I was wrong about the plug wire's going to the wrong cylinders; not sure how I miss read them previously. Everything is right from the Dist. Cap to the cylinders

O well at least I learned the cylinder numbering.

• 6 years later...
  • 8 months later...