IGNORED

gotta sell my 69 fairlady

NovaSS

This is ridiculous, all this time there was a 1969 fairlady right next door to my state, just think of all the other rare cars that could be hiding out in the least expected of places, i would love to have a RHD fairlady, although my goal is to get a 432, but thats setting it high LOL.

Hi, Everybody!

My first entry on this network is to agree with my friend Carl Beck.

Good plan. At least you'll stay friends that way...... :classic:

The guys with Z cars who wanted a 5-speed usually got one out of an SRL-511 roadster and did the conversion..

I think you mean SRL-311? In which case you'd need a few more parts to convert that FS5C71-A transmission to fit the Z ( including a bellhousing, T/O bearing & sleeve, tailhousing, driveshaft and driveshaft flange ) - so it was hardly a straight swap, was it?

Meanwhile, outside north America, the guys who wanted a Z car with a 5-speed went and bought a Z car that came with a 5-speed as stock equipment off the showroom floor. Wouldn't you have liked to have that option too?

I couldn't find one in good enough condition, so I bit the bullet and spent several months pay on a Competition Department 5-speed. I went ahead w/an 800kg clutch, roller bearing pilot bushing, and R200 (3.90 limited slip) as long as it was apart. 5th gear is a 0.854:1 ratio, which gives me about the same final drive ratio as the original (1.00 4th gear thru a 3.36 differential).

So this wasn't in 1970, was it? Sounds like you bought an FS5C71-B ( 'Close Ratio O.D.' ) or FS5W71-B ( 'Wide Ratio O.D.' ) so-called 'Competition' transmission, which was standard equipment for models outside north America.

I think your 5th gear overdrive ratio would have been 0.864:1 rather than 0.854:1. Typo?

If you bought an R200 diff with a 3.9:1 ratio ( again, a standard ratio in markets outside north America ) then it certainly would not have been in 1970, when you bought your car - would it? I'm guessing this transmission and diff upgrade that you are telling us about was likely 1973 or later - yes?

So what changed for you in the three years or more between buying the car and upgrading to a five speed overdrive trans and 3.9 ratio diff ( with LSD )? Did you finally realise that you might have been missing out on something?

This setup gave me the same 25 or so MPG on the hwy, with a lot more dig off the line, a better choice of RPM/torque selection for various situations, AND A WHOLE LOT MORE FUN SHIFTING MY OWN GEARS!!!!!!!

Sorry, but you appear to be saying that this setup was better than the 1:1 four speed and 3.36 diff ratio that came as standard equipment on your car when you bought it? In which case, you're agreeing with me too.

It's a win/win situation! LOL

Alan T.

Sorry, but you appear to be saying that this setup was better than the 1:1 four speed and 3.36 diff ratio that came as standard equipment on your car when you bought it?
Sounds to me like he actually had an automatic transmission based on his comment:
AND A WHOLE LOT MORE FUN SHIFTING MY OWN GEARS!!!!!!!
Though with the typos and/or questionable content I can't be certain......2s97zhy.gif

I was looking at the bit where he's talking about:

...which gives me about the same final drive ratio as the original (1.00 4th gear thru a 3.36 differential).

...And the fact that he seems to be talking about his 1970 HLS30-U.

But you're right. I guess anything's possible. He doesn't really make it clear as to exactly what part of Carl's posts in this thread he's agreeing with' date=' but it's likely that he'll be agreeing with [i']anything and everything Carl writes...... :bunny:

:classic:

• 4 weeks later...
Good plan. At least you'll stay friends that way...... :classic:

Meanwhile, outside north America, the guys who wanted a Z car with a 5-speed went and bought a Z car that came with a 5-speed as stock equipment off the showroom floor. Wouldn't you have liked to have that option too?

I think your 5th gear overdrive ratio would have been 0.864:1 rather than 0.854:1. Typo?

Not to start (continue) a flame war here, but I just stumbled upon these statements today ( a tad late, perhaps.)

Every post I have seen from you when talking with members of other Z Car sites (even on here, with people who have migrated over) has been brash and, well.........rude. Are they misinformed? Possibly. However, they (for the most part) are very friendly and courteous to Z owners of all backgrounds. Now, I'm speaking mainly about the CTZCC. I have read quite a bit of mis-information and bias on that website, but I still frequent it a lot. Why? Their members have created the nicest Z Car forum on the internet and treat their members with respect. I understand that a certain bit of friction will always exist between certain people, but the way you spill it out onto the internet is just plain obnoxious and dare I say, elitest. Whoo hoo, you had the option of a 5 speed from the factory. What are we supposed to do about it now? Give you a cookie?

g9m3c, I don't think you're 'getting it' but that's okay. This is so far off topic now that it really doesn't matter whether or not you approve of a person's intent mainly because you're not reading it right. You kind of being b.s.'d as I was way back about 4 1/2 years ago in this thread. Besides, Rick deserves whatever he gets. He's the one that awakened the thread after 4 1/2 years seemingly to 'impress us with his knowlege'. It ain't working for me, by the way. When you 'stumbled upon' these comments did you go all the way back in the thread? I doubt it because if you did, you likely would have just let it go. Now to quote Mick Hucknall (Simply Red) "That's all I've got to say."

Edited by sblake01

Now, I'm speaking mainly about the CTZCC. I have read quite a bit of mis-information and bias on that website, but I still frequent it a lot. Why? Their members have created the nicest Z Car forum on the internet and treat their members with respect.

CTZCC? :love:

Oh I get it. But you're a little bit late aren't you? What is it, full moon in your locale tonight? Maybe you should make a thread about me on the CTZCC forum? Don't be too upset if it gets almost no attention, though. It might even get edited, or deleted.......

.....and dare I say, elitest.

I think you mean elitist?

Let's just face it. Our relationship is doomed, isn't it? :bunny:

What are we supposed to do about it now? Give you a cookie?

Personally, I'd prefer a biscuit. And a cup of English Breakfast tea to dunk it in, thanks.

In all seriousness 'g9m3c', that's some really good advice from sblake01 you've been offered there. I'd take notice of it if I were you. You seem to have fallen, hook, line and sinker for the propaganda line, but there's still time and chance for you for you to see the big picture. This whole thing is not about us. We are just the audience watching the show.

Alan T.

g9m3c, I don't think you're 'getting it' but that's okay. This is so far off topic now that it really doesn't matter whether or not you approve of a person's intent mainly because you're not reading it right. You kind of being b.s.'d as I was way back about 4 1/2 years ago in this thread. Besides, Rick deserves whatever he gets. He's the one that awakened the thread after 4 1/2 years seemingly to 'impress us with his knowlege'. It ain't working for me, by the way. When you 'stumbled upon' these comments did you go all the way back in the thread? I doubt it because if you did, you likely would have just let it go. Now to quote Mick Hucknall (Simply Red) "That's all I've got to say."

No, I didn't go back and read the OP and the discussion that followed afterwards. I don't tend to do that when an old thread has been dug up with an all new discussion; I just take part in that one. I agree that my reply was a little harsh and I probably deserved the infraction. I just saw fit to express my opinion on the matter. It didn't refer to this one thread in particular. It just happened to be the unfortunate one that I posted my reply to.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming. :)

CTZCC? :love:

Oh I get it. But you're a little bit late aren't you? What is it, full moon in your locale tonight? Maybe you should make a thread about me on the CTZCC forum? Don't be too upset if it gets almost no attention, though. It might even get edited, or deleted.......

I think you mean elitist?

Let's just face it. Our relationship is doomed, isn't it? :bunny:

Personally, I'd prefer a biscuit. And a cup of English Breakfast tea to dunk it in, thanks.

In all seriousness 'g9m3c', that's some really good advice from sblake01 you've been offered there. I'd take notice of it if I were you. You seem to have fallen, hook, line and sinker for the propaganda line, but there's still time and chance for you for you to see the big picture. This whole thing is not about us. We are just the audience watching the show.

Alan T.

I've already made my opinion of you public and was penalized for it. I'll bite my tongue this time. ;)

To all;

Let's not get this thread closed down.

Nor do we wish to censor it, which is abhorrent to us all.

There are very valid points on all sides.... and I'm proposing that we not renew nor rehash discussions simply to berate points.

Personal opinions, viewpoints and learned information, are welcome as thread content, as long as they don't target individuals.

Spirited discussion will always have bits and pieces that, when viewed to the exclusion of the rest of the conversation, can appear argumentative and insulting.

When you find that you've been "offended" by something, rather than make a public call to arms, may I suggest that you use the PM to vent/discuss with the party what you have a "bone" to pick about.

There are MANY times that all of us have transgressed that and made the mistake of posting it publicly; myself included. Sometimes the "offense" can be as simple as misunderstood concepts, or not having read the complete thread, or simply different cultural backgrounds.

This thread is, hopefully, an opportunity for all of us to learn about the many different world markets that the Z was involved in, as well as the differences that Nissan/Datsun offered therein.

If it helps, think of the main vein of this thread as being a spirited discussion of what came first, the chicken or the egg; or if you will, whether the Z's original design had a target market or if the proposed marketability of the design in specific markets influenced it's design.

E

Edited by EScanlon

I didn't know that a 5-speed was availible in a US export 260z model? I thought that it was not until the 75' 280z that there were 5-speeds. Maybe a late 260z had a 5-speed?

NOVA, I wish you the best of luck with selling your car. It is a very special car indeed.

Regards,

Ben

Forgive me if my memory is short, that is well over 30 years ago!! I was

w/Bob Sharp Datsun at the time, and I seem to recall that the first 5-speed HLS-30 Z-cars were the 1977 280-Z's. Up till that time the only 5-speeds in Z

cars were either transplants from the SRL-511 (2-liter roadster), or special

ordered parts from Datsun Competition Department. I opted for the latter

in my '70, somewhere around 1972 I think. At that time those units were

being used in cars driven by Sharp, Fitzgerald, Morton, Devendorf......

Edited by Kathy & Rick