IGNORED

Great deal on 240 & early 260Z Tokico illuminas with springs Brand new! (Ebay)

Jayru

As you can see, the top four turns are loaded when car is on the ground, and the bottom 5-6 turns remain open. I have not experienced the car bottoming out. Looks a little different, but I signed my warranty card, and if Tokico says this is what works with the Illuminas, then they are putting their money where their collective mouth is....

Overall, I am satisfied. They have been on the car 2 months (maybe 40 miles driven to and from mechanics and body shop), and it handles much better than I had expected.

Good luck,

X

XRay

How much was your car lowered when you changed to these springs?????

George

ZIII:

Here's my car from the side, 2 views. Keep in mind the following:

1) Car already sags a bit because the 33-year old springs have probably sprung their last, well...you know

2) Car has 185/70 tires on it which lowers it some (not my intention to keep those tires, but they have 80% tread left on them). Having low tire pressure in front doesn't help much--ugh!

3) Rocker to ground clearance is just a shade over five inches.

4) Front has the Tokico setup, the rear is still stock (not a whole lot of time these days...)

Hope this helps,

X

post-7009-14150795029837_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150795030305_thumb.jpg

Agree with Bryan. Overstiffening, while benefiting in some areas, will cost you in others. Too stiff and you m ay lose traction at inopportune moments. Because I basically have little more than passing knowledge of the subject, I kept the stock sway bar, but added the urethane bushings. I am contemplating bump steer spacers (since the car is down about an inch), but I don't think I will be doing enough "serious" driving to warrant that addition.

Steve

I drive on the street with my Tokico Illumina's on one. It is a little soft but so am I. I have 180/200LBS springs front/rear. For autox I will crank them up depending on the course. On the glassy surface track we use I'll go to 5/4 (front/rear) the bumpier courses I will probably use 4/3 but the first race is April 24th so time will tell more than I can right now.

XRay,

From the pictures, keeping all your caveats in mind, the front still looks a bit high to me. In fact it looks about as high as mine and I have Euro Springs. I was hoping that the Tokico's would bring the car down a bit. Perhaps yours needs to settle, I don’t know. However, my desire is to get mine about an inch and a half lower than what I have now. The picture here should give you an idea……

George

post-7417-14150795030838_thumb.jpg

Umm, I hope my springs don't "settle." Wouldn't that mean they can't hold their form under load, and basically lose their "springiness?"

The whole point of buying these (for me, at least) was NOT to have a significant lowering effect on the car. If you want that, look to Eibach or KYB or other brands. Tokico springs may lower a 240 about 3/4", at least according to the MSA website, and I have found that to be true.

Best of luck in your search!

He mentioned in the first auction that the springs will lower 1 inch. Is that the usual for t he springs, or just for the one set?

Each set of springs lowers a car by a different amount, even though they are all sold under the same part number. Wire diameter and spring rates are different foe each set just to keep customers on their toes.

Are you suggesting that the springs come matched somehow in sets? Or do you think the whole batch of springs is like that.

I don't think lowering 1 inch will hurt the car. I like a stiff ride, and I don't usually drive on roads that need large amount of suspension travel, but I like the little bumps smoothed out.

OH-

If those things fit the 240Z and the 260Z, would they also fit the 280Z?

thx

Are you suggesting that the springs come matched somehow in sets? Or do you think the whole batch of springs is like that.

I don't think lowering 1 inch will hurt the car. I like a stiff ride, and I don't usually drive on roads that need large amount of suspension travel, but I like the little bumps smoothed out.

OH-

If those things fit the 240Z and the 260Z, would they also fit the 280Z?

thx

No, I was pulling on your leg (one appeared longer than the other) :D

The only problem I can see is dependent on the wheels installed on the car. If the offset is too negitive the wheel and tire may stick out so far that the tire will contact the fender when the new springs drop the body.

These springs would probably NOT fit a 280Z. Usually the aftermarket spring sets are different for 280Z. They do probably make a set for the 280Z though.

I suggest those that like a stiff ride take the springs out, reattach the strut rod into the strut tower, then weld at the point where the strut rod enters the strut. That'll give you the ride you want. :)

LOL, Are you a dentist trying to drum up some business replacing fillings?

(That was a JOKE, in case you missed it) (can't we have a chuckle in this thread?)