IGNORED

Ok, here is the poll!

hls30.com

Does using "FACTORY" interchanged parts in a restoration hurt its authenticity?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Does using "FACTORY" interchanged parts in a restoration hurt its authenticity?

• Yes
    • No

Good way to stir the pot there Mr C :).

However for the US HLS30 cars would have to have the original 4 speed to be considered stock!

Its like what Alan T once told me and I must agree and it applies with any car.

I could bolt all the authentic ZG parts for my HS30 hoping to transform it into a HS30-H but at the end of the day it's still just a Australian Delivered HS30 but a HS30-H replica.

Yeah it is. Only you poor Americans got 4 speeds. The rest of the world got 5 speeds right from the get go. So what original now? Depends on the market the car was sold in.

Hey, good point... what exactly is authentic? :tapemouth Now we're starting to sound like a bunch of engineers.

I'm assuming that "authentic" would apply to the location at which it was rebuilt. If I buy an Australian spec Zcar and restore it using American spec parts, then I don't believe it is a true authentic replica.

So, I see that Australians got the F uck Floor Mats. That's pretty good. hahah... (referring to your thumbnail)

• 2 weeks later...

Let me explain my "wrong" answer...

It never occured to me that you were asking about the specifics of a car show where the vehicle was being judged by anal-retentive nuts with so much spare time on their hands that they have actually memorized all the part numbers of every item on the car.

I was giving a general answer. What I meant is that for most applications so long as the part is identical in form, fit, and function, who could possibly care?

For example, compare these two parts:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46102&item=7953368406&rd=1

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CP&Product_Code=18415-S30

Having NEVER seen the "Correct" part for my '71, how would I know which one is authentic? Why would anyone pay twice as much for one than the other?

gnosez:

You saw thirty 204Zs at the same car show? On what planet was that show held? I confess that I don't go to very many car shows, perhaps 2 or 3 a year, but I have never seen ONE 240Z at a show, let alone thirty.

Bambikiller240:

When I say that I am "restoring" my 240Z, I am using your definition number 1, "To bring back into existence or use..."

How does authentic qualify with year of manufacture?

for example how could a part made in 1973 with the same part number as the same part manufactured in 1969 be authentic in a 69 model zed?

It may look the same, be the same etc but it wasn't manufactured in the same period.

Starting to sound pretty much like the handbrake thread re-wrapped!

Zedophiles....you've got to love-em.......

ROFL

with warm regards

MOM

I was giving a general answer. What I meant is that for most applications so long as the part is identical in form, fit, and function, who could possibly care?

For example, compare these two parts:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46102&item=7953368406&rd=1

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CP&Product_Code=18415-S30

Having NEVER seen the "Correct" part for my '71, how would I know which one is authentic? Why would anyone pay twice as much for one than the other?

QUOTE]

Hey Walter, at least for the extra six bucks you get a screw. Sounds like a deal to me! ROFL Gary

Bambikiller240:

When I say that I am "restoring" my 240Z, I am using your definition number 1, "To bring back into existence or use..."

Hi Walter:

Using that definition is fine if it works for you. BUt it doesn't fit with the definition used by the Collector Car industry. Having the "wrong" choke handle wil lose you points in a Stock class judging, or dollar if trying to sell the car to someone looking for a "restored" 197x Datsun 240Z.

It wouldn't matter to me which choke handle was in my car (I do have the correct one, but I also have several "incorrect" ones as spares) just so long as the choke operates properly.

for example how could a part made in 1973 with the same part number as the same part manufactured in 1969 be authentic in a 69 model zed?

It may look the same, be the same etc but it wasn't manufactured in the same period.

Hi MOM:

Your statement makes sense to me, but I wonder, How one could tell the date of manufacture in order to make a determination? For most parts, if the appearance is correct for the model year there would be no way of determining mfg. date. Few parts have the production date stamped or otherwise coded onto them.

If matter can neither be destroyed or created, then all of the parts are the same age, because all matter is the same age-in terms of raw materials.

I want a car for enjoyment, and that means thinking about, working on, upgrading, restoring, cleaning, reading about, talking about, and most of all driving!

I put that last, because it looks like it is going to be a while...

I am the only judge I am trying to impress-while I would like others to enjoy my car, they get to do it for only an investment in the time it takes to look at it, but I value my vision of what is should be to pay for it in time, sweat, blood, and money. Those who put on the car show get to pick the judges, and they assign importance. I have asked several members for their opinion on potential changes to my car, and I appreciate the input they have given, but at the end of the day, the change to be is up to me.

I want it to look authentic(as if it came from Nissan that way), but perform differently!

Will

Starting to sound pretty much like the handbrake thread re-wrapped!

Zedophiles....you've got to love-em.......

ROFL

with warm regards

MOM

NO, this is totally wrong. That means that nothing could ever be allowed to break. You could never change tires, hoses, spark plugs.....COME ON! :finger:

Of course! That's the whole point. These parts separate the men from the boys. Or rather, the trailer-queens from the daily drivers... you can look at it either way, but at the end of the day they'll be worth more. That's what this thread is about.

...I think

They'll ony be worth more if I'm not the one doing the buying!

I would not buy one that well kept to drive, I at this point in my life, I wouldn't buy one to put up for any purpose but to have a good starting point later-unless the price was right

Of cours putting a non authentic part will work in a pinch for anyone, replacing it later with the "right piece" is the part that makes most of us fall away..

Will