IGNORED

Your thoughts wanted, preservation/restoration?

JLPurcell

I asked this same question to a bunch of people a year or so ago. The concensus was; "Its your car, you do what you want to". Frankly, no matter what you do, somebody is going say something. That's just the way the car game is played. It wouldn't be any fun if we couldn't pick on each.

Amen brother!

If you love your car enough to keep it from the rust demons and salvage yards, it really doesn't matter what you do. Personally I love the period correct mods. If I would have bought it brand new in '72 the wheels and hubcaps wouldn't have lasted a week. And I've never owned a car that I didn't try to get more power out of.

After All... "Pride, Performance, Preservation"

Nate :smoke:

I was/am a hot rodder of American iron and have hacked up more vehicles than I care to admit to. I always respected the guys that could take an old hulk and put it back to showroom condition. I was always looking for more horsepower, better handling, etc. That was, until I got my Z. My folks bought it new in 72 and didn't change anything. My mom used it for her daily driver until 2002. Sure, it's been maintained, things have been replaced as they wore out/broke-whatever, but it's still all stock. I got it in Feb 2002 and drive it on nice days now, not my daily by a long shot. There's still some things that need attention, but I could never modify it because of the sentimental value of it. Now, if I could only find another to tweak......

Have one of each! One that's bone stock and one that's modified. That way your covered by the "purists" and the "stock sucks" crowd :D

Vicky

:D This is what I've decided to try to do in order to pacify my demons. :devious: One one hand I would love to put a set of 44mm Mikuni's, lower, Minilites, etc.. my persimmon 72 when I get done "restoring/preserving" but I also want to have a "bone stock" example. Have the 72 and the parts, working on a stock example. :)JLP

Have one of each! One that's bone stock and one that's modified. That way your covered by the "purists" and the "stock sucks" crowd :D

Vicky

That's the ticket! I'm doing my 280Z up however I feel like, and trying to keep the 240Z as close to stock as available parts, budget, and time allow.

Jerry,

Type "Rally Clock" in the search function. One of my favorite threads was http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14422&highlight=Rally+Clock

I was rooting around a friend's shop a couple of days after Christmas and saw it. He said he had been meaning to tell me about it and asked me if I wanted it. It is an early rally clock option - the one with the oscillator. I listed the part numbers in one of those posts.

So getting on with this subject, I have always liked an optioned out version of the home market S30. It was rather luxurious, sporting a passenger foot rest, headlight covers, and a other things I have managed to collect. As a tribute to the accuracy of such a presentation, I have collected a mesh grill, carburetor and ignition parts for the engine. I am considering filling in the rear marker light. And the 6" Watanabes would go on the car.

In terms of bone stock HLS30s, I like the extra bumper bars and have a set of those. I'm looking for one of the AMCO chrome luggage bars for the interior. You are usually allowed 5 modifications.

Then I have a bunch of other stuff that could contribute to a presentation. BRE spook and spoiler, 6" Slots, Momo mahagony steering wheel, later style Bosch fog lights with Datsun covers (probably 280Z), bra (every babe has to have a black bra). I have this Datsun 8-track, but it is for a 510 or something. Would love an 8-track that came with the S30.

I used to joke about dressing up the car like a barbie doll in the period fashion. That was because I only had one car at the time. Now with two, I can have it both ways which was one of my considerations buying the second....ah....ragamuffin. I already had the parts.

So you dress up your car any way you want! My problem is deciding who gets what outfit!

Hi Jerry // everyone:

In your opening remarks to this thread, you said: "Now I know there are enthusiasts and there are purists, and their perspectives will be different on this subject.

I would like to change all our perspectives on this subject, even if ever so slightly.

In the context that that we usually hear the term "Purists"; as in "the Purists"... It seems to be a reference to a fanatically motivated, although small group, of individuals who insist on forcing their gospel on the Classic Car Community they happen to be in.

They don't hesitate preaching fire and brimstone to anyone publicly, if the unwashed dare to modify a sacred Classic. Like all fanatics, the Purists really enjoy getting in your face and under your skin, while at the same time failing completely to comprehend the true meaning of the Gospels Of Restoration.

Having properly identified and defined them above, let's set that group aside for the minute, for they are "False Purists".

The "True Purist" is really a wonderful combination of subject knowledge, artistic ability, perseverance and perfectionism. The True Purist is our most honest historian, working tirelessly on uncovering the true origins of our marque.... ie. "as it left the factory".

The True Purist can be found grouped within one or several categories of automotive enthusiasts. He might actually be a "restorer of classic cars" or a "Collector of Classic Cars". The True Purist might simply be one who first performs exhaustive research and then writes about the marque. In many cases the True Purist may be a combination of all these or none.

One doesn't have to "own" a 100 Point Concours Example, nor even to "build" one. The True Purist may simply be a person who has only a driving thirst for knowledge related to the subject of our affections. One who appreciates possessing ever deeper and finer, especially if little known, facts about the how the cars were built in the first place.

The fact is, the True Purist and the Enthusiasts are one and the same. The True Purists will appreciate your Classic, no matter where it falls on the continuum from 100 Point Concours Original to Beautifully Modified.

The True Purists will always appreciate "Cinderella" and disdain a "Frankenstein Monster". What makes a True Purists different from the average enthusiast? The True Purists will know in fine detail, the difference between the two.

Preservation is the first step to restoration.

With kind regards to the True Purists among you.

Carl

Carl Beck

Clearwater,FL USA

http://ZHome.com

Every individual is different!

Its all a matter of what you want to do with your car and how you want it to look, and lets not forget how your car makes you feel. Its as simple and as complicated as that.

Just my 2 cents.

Alex