IGNORED

what is the world coming to?

someone tried to steal my Z out of my driveway the other night. thats right, peeling paint, dented fender, scratched windshield and all. lucky for me i had taken out the battery, taken out all the spark plugs, and had the coil sitting on my dining room table:) nonetheless, the guy thought jamming a screwdriver into my ignition would work, really tore up my ignition (and arm rest for some reason). he left my cd player for some reason, strange. makes me sad to know that we've got car thiefs (even idiot ones) up in my mountains.

Screwdrivers seem to be the tool of choice for idiot car thieves. My 240 was stolen from my driveway in California several years ago - found it abandoned about five miles away. Thieves had used a screwdriver on the ignition and also to gouge the paint on the hood and rip up the driver's seat. In addition, they had slashed all four tires and had stolen the battery and radio (demolishing the dash for good measure). Makes it kinda difficult to love your fellow man, doesn't it?

btw, while we're talking about the igniton, what is the difference between a #6 and a #7? i went to the store to pick up another ignition switch, they had two different ones listed for the 240Z, i got the #7, which matched mine but the number 6 wasn't in stock so i couldn't take a look, whats diff. about the #6?

• 5 months later...

I know how you feel. I had my 240Z stolen out of my driveway ( primered grey! ). Thank God I had a loud exhaust, and a thief that didn't know how to work a manual choke!!! all that noise woke me out of a deep sleep... I looked out the window just in time to see my car speeding off... While trying to get my wits about me, I called the police. My aunt, is head of dispatch, where I live and as luck would have it, she answered the phone. The cops gave chase, the thieves spun out trying to negotiate a turn. ( luckily they didn't hit a thing) they jumped out of the car to make a run for it, but were apprehended... the whole incident took about 15 min. Damn thing seemed like a dream. I was back at my place, with my car, in about an hour. the only thing good was that, the motor that was in my car, was an old one. After the incident, I was awarded 1600 dollars for restitution. That went to the Rebello 3.0L engine fund!! :) After that, I took back everything I had said about my Bad Luck!!

Actually screwdrivers are common when it comes to Cadillacs. My mother had one stolen about 10 years ago. Apparently on certain makes of cadillacs you slide the screwdriver right under the sterring column push up and it starts right up! Think it was an 83 El Dorado

• 2 months later...

Sorry to hear about your car !!!! The screw driver works on older ignitions from Toyota to Datsun !!! I one day accidently started my 86 Nissan pick up with my 240Z key !!!!! The ignitions were poorly made !!!! The kill switches are a good idea and removing the coil wire but the damages to the car hurt !!!! And people now a days just do not respect other peoples property !!!! Good luck and we understand what you are going through we all sooner or later have to deal with these idiots !!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Car theft was how I got into my 280. I used to have a '73 510 2-door, that I had owned for 11 years. Did a lot of work to it, installing a L20B, SU's, electronic ignition, 5-speed, LSD rear end, sway bars, struts and shocks. Had 78,000 on it when I got it, had 235,000 when she was stolen almost two years ago. Tried to find another 510, but to no avail, as everything was out of my 3,000 price range, or was rusted out junk that too much was eing asked for, so I decided I wanted a Z, as the mechanicals were similar. That's when I found my cherry '75 280 automatic, with working a/c. Now it has a L28ET and B/W T5 tranny. I miss the 510 at times, but the Z helps me get over that, especially when I deliver humility lessons to Porsche owners.......

Originally posted by guy_geo

Sorry to hear about that.. People are soooo stupid...

As long as there man, there'll be stupidity...

:mad:

And....As long as there are people with cool cars there will be people that want to have that car too....And take it to joyride.

Is it only envy or what that makes them rip of and destroy other mans car? If you steal it just drive it and leave it=) One can dream of times when this could happen...

I am very happy that there aren't that many car thieves around here... But it still happens too often here as well...

• 2 weeks later...

hi all,

One of the blokes who gets the paper from my uncles news agency owns ROFL owned a new holden monaro. anyway the story has it that the car was stolen from in front of his house despite the immobilizes ect on these things. turns out the thieves had them selves a tow truck and simply pulled the car up while the owner was asleep, to make matters worse neighbors saw the car being towed away and thought the whole thing was legitimate.

the car was insured so he got a new one althought the original hasnt been recoverd. never the less makes u mad to know of the extent sum people will go to.

If they want it they will get it. Its that easy. The best anti theft thing I have used is a brake lock. This is like a club for your wheel but it gose from the brake pedal too the floor. It makes it so the brake pedal cant be used. On my corvette I used it on the clutch pedal. Put this on with an alarm and sleep easy.

There is nothing you can do if they want it bad enough. But every little thing you do that will slow them down will make them think twice before they try.

Another thing I did with my vette was a gas cut off. I put it just before the carb on the gas line. Low cost and works good. You could maybe make it out of the parking space before it was dead.

One last easy one. If you are going to use a after market tach. buy one with a rev limiter. You can set the tach so it cuts the spark at the rpm you set it at. Mark the dial where you need it for use. When you park the car turn the dial down all the way. The car may start but it wont get over 1000 RPM.