IGNORED

Which Z event to attend?

Mike

So, I'm thinking about attending one of these events in the next few months. I've got about a weeks worth of vacation and I want to head out and join my fellow Z nuts.

But, I've never been to any of these shows... so, I have no idea which one would be better.

What do you think? Is the National Convention or the Motorsport Auto show a better place to be? I haven't been to either of them, so, it's up in the air for me right now.

I'm not really concerned much about the events themselves. But, I'd rather attend something that has the most amount of Z owners, Z cars, and unique experiences.

Anyone have advice in this area? :confused:

I think we should post some of these. I believe the MSA one is this weekend or next someplace in California. Unfortunately I've got work trips planned, and can't escape.

I believe zdriver.com has a "regional" site where people are supposed to post things going on in their region, but last time I was there there wasn't much listed for the Pacific North West, but maybe someone can post. I've heard of a "camping" get together up by the Coast on the Washington side of the Columbia that I'll be investigating. This is supposed to be sometime in August.

The Motorsport show is posted. But, it only shows one day (friday). We should add the Saturday and Sunday events as separate entries.

Maybe something like this:

MSA Show - Day 1 - Description

MSA Show - Day 2 - Description

MSA Show - Day 3 - Description

If you can, you should try to attent the Z show in So. CA. it's the biggest Z nut show...besides, It would be nice to see faces instead of computers....

It's only once a year...try to make it...if you can, I'm the one with the Datsun 1200 (fixing my Z)

Thanks,

Cel

side1200.bmp

Since I'm involved in this year's convention, I'll throw this out. As of last month we are already looking at hosting the largest,

most heavily attended National Convention yet. As was mentioned, the dates are June 17-21.

The Convention unofficially kicks off on Sunday, June 16 with the arrival of 2 caravans, one from Dallas and the other from Houston, both sponsored by the respective area clubs. Both caravans will be arranged by year starting with the earliest cars, with the new 350Z bringing up the rear of the Dallas group. Estimated numbers of both groups is 250+ cars! We're already

planning on shutting down the highway when they get here.

Monday is registration with plenty of time to wander through beautiful San Antonio. Tuesday is the Hill Country Tour. Some of the most beautiful, and fun roads in Texas are only 15 minutes away! Wednesday is the Car Show, and is being held at ranch in a classic Texas setting. Buses will be provided for those not wanting to drive. Thursday is the day at the river and water

park, along with a Simpson Racing Factory Tour. Friday are the drag and autocross races.

More information can be found at San Antonio's Z-Sport club website, www.z-sport.com

As far as attendance, Mr. K will be there (as always) along with at least 5 other top executives from Nissan Japan. We have also heard that about 20 members from a Japanese Z club will be in attendance along with some of their cars. We have gotten pre-registrations from as far away as Nirobi! We have people coming from all over the world and there will be heavy auto-press coverage also.

If you attend only one National Convention, this is the one to be at. (Sorry for the sales pitch, but we're really excited about this!)

Well I have been the National Conventions and the MSA show. Since the National Convention is during the week and the MSA show is a weekend only event, you might try to squeeze in both.

The Motorsport show has been drawing up large numbers of cars of the past couple of years and is steadily about 300 cars. I think you see the most amount of cars there just because there are a large number of Z cars on the west coast and in California alone.

Of course there are show cars and also daily drivers. At the big conventions, you see more pure show cars, because they are there to win a show..of course. The MSA event is somewhat limited in scope since it is a weekend event, but you will get to talk to lots of people and see lots of cars. Some Hightlights: Friday night, is opening night, where you can do some indoor kart racing which is pretty fun. Sat, there is autocross driving school and Sunday is car show day, which is an outdoor event, and of course there are dinners you sign up for on Sat/Sun. From what Kmack said, I think the convention is a much more formalized event where you can tell your family that you are all going on a vacation and you won't let them down.

Since you are from Oregon, the drive to Southern CA is doable as opposed to getting out to Texas. If you are money conscious, the MSA show is a bunch cheaper and much more accomodating to the pocketbook. If you are in the need for zparts, then another bonus is that MSA has a big sale on everything that day, so if you need to stockup...you can really save a bundle. You may want to call beforehand and ask them what % you will save on show day. If I am not mistaken, I think it is 20%.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by byunique

Since you are from Oregon, the drive to Southern CA is doable as opposed to getting out to Texas. If you are money conscious, the MSA show is a bunch cheaper and much more accomodating to the pocketbook.

Brandon,

I got some killer video of you racing on Saturday. I'll figure out how to rip it to a downloadable version and let you know.

[m]