IGNORED

headlight relay upgrade harness's for sale

Zs-ondabrain

ecp48,

My main focus has been on the 240Z, But I hope to expand to the 260Z and 280Z. Finding the 280Z plugs at a reasonable price and availability is the hard part. Then theres the research of how to wire it properly without harming the existing harness, and making it easy and affordable for you to purchase and install.

Fear not, I am working on it. and hope to have a prototype ready in a couple weeks.

Hows that sound?

Dave.

I too am interested for my 1971 240Z, but will have to wait until you get your second batch ready. Please keep us informed how production is going. Gary, also in Washington State.

Count me in for a set.

How does this circuit respond to failure, like if there is some sort of short or open in one of the relays? Is there any way that both lights could be put out at once due to a failure like that? I only ask because it was the primary concern going through my mind when I was thinking about doing this on my own

To Mike and all others who are interested in purchasing a harness from me. At the present time, I can only accept money orders and cashiers checks.

Made out to David W. Irwin for the amount of $53.00 ($44.95 + $8.05 S/H). I use Priority Mail (2-3 day) and I use USPS Insurance on every package.

send them to:

David W. Irwin

10814 4th Ave W.

Everett, WA. 98204

As for circuit failure and protection, In the instructions that I've just written, I state that the left and right headlight 10-to-15 amp glass fuses in the fuse box should be replaced with 5-amp glass fuses.

There is also a 30 amp inline fuse for the power wire that powers the relays. As Datsun owners, we should all have our little pack of replacement fuses in the glovebox for those little emergencys. A spare relay in the glovebox could'nt hurt either.

I'd love one of these harnesses. Being on the other side of the pond may present a problem though!

Let me know if you ever decide to set up an international service and you've got yourself a PayPal account.

One other minor point for righthand drive cars is that the battery is on the otherside i.e. US drivers side.

Cheers,

Rob

Last year I purchased this kind of setup from Jegs. It's made by Painless Wiring. Let me assure you that David's harness is much better for two reasons. One, its cheaper (I paid $75). And two, it uses Datsun connectors. Where the Painless harness didnt and I had to modify it.

If David's works like I think it will, you will all be happy with the purchase.

My own experience with my setup has been good. Amp meter shows much less draw when all lights are on. Stock lights are brighter but you can now upgrade the bulbs without fear of a meltdown anywhere in the system. Especially in the fuse box. My 72's box would get so hot it'd burn you if you touched it. Now everything is nice and cool. Super deal!!

FWIW,

Chris

is the 260z and 280 differnt at all from the 240z when it comes to the lighting system? i have a early 260z jan/74 i have the relays and stuff but this would make it better to use stock connectors. im just wondering because the headlights are the same for all years, at least thats what ive been told

I'd love one of these harnesses. Being on the other side of the pond may present a problem though!

Let me know if you ever decide to set up an international service and you've got yourself a PayPal account.

One other minor point for righthand drive cars is that the battery is on the otherside i.e. US drivers side.

Cheers,

Rob

Rob

maybe we could buy together and split the shipping/money order cost?

I seem to recall owing you a favour :)

Andrew

Thats a very good question and you may be the only one who has offered an answer for me. I havent had a chance to get out of the house since I started this.

But thats where the whole R&D thing comes in. If the measurements are the same and so are the plugs, then there should be no problem with using them on the 260Z or 280Z.

So I guess the question to all the techy's out there is

" Are the three pin square plugs on the 240Z the same as the 260Z and 280Z"

And is the length between all important parts and locations (as previously posted) the same on all three models

When I get to Z Specialties on Monday, I'll know for sure. But if some one gives a definate answer before then, you'll save me gas and time.

Thanks ahead of time,

Dave in WA.

Dave

Looks like an excellent product. Don't want to have to replace my fuse box anytime soon.

Would this upgrade kit be compatible for cars that have the parking lights ( ie pos 1 on the combination switch) in the headlamps ( I don't know if US cars have the same parking lights as in the UK)

Andrew