IGNORED

27th z!!!

zhead240

Well, sure Larry!

I'll start out by saying that I have no complaints. I expected what I got and bid according to that expectation. If I could complain about anything it would be that I was hoping the car would be better than the pictures. LOL

I talked to the seller several times during the auction. We had a pretty good conversation going. I posted most all of the pictures he sent me. The pictures I didn't post were so bad that there was no point. What I meant by photoshopping the pictures was that they were so bad that I spent time adjusting the contrast, brightness, saturation and other controls to optimize them and make them a little more legible. For instance, the picture of the engine bay showed the battery box, but it took playing around with the picture to determine that it was still there and in pretty good shape.

The conversations on the phone helped me get a better idea of what I was looking at. The seller wasn't trying to hide anything. It was just one of those deals - the seller finally gave up on his dream of restoring the car. He had already moved to another State and was selling what he thought was a valuable car because he didn't want to move it. He knew what he had, but he also knew what it was going to take to restore it, and he just didn't have the time or energy. Looking at the car closely, I might say that the seller was more optomistic than reality, but again, I expected it. He is basically correct. 27 can be restored. It IS possible.

Even the new pictures I just posted are not all that great. A lot of the white spots you see on the outside of the car are primer and or bondo showing through. The rear fender arches are gone after what appears to be many attempts to repair them. Of course, the whole front end of the car will need to be replaced - fenders, hood, etc., but as the seller told me, the rockers are in pretty good shape. It has never been crashed. The floors are intact and useable. Bottom line - and I agree with the seller's attitude - there is just too much to nit-pik about - why bother. Either buy the car or don't. It is a matching numbers car with a clean title.

I took a great leap of faith. I didn't hang more than $3,000 out and as much as I appreciate how much that may seem to a lot of people here, it is not for me. Nor is the budget to restore this thing by myself over a period of a few years.

Hey Chris,

I think I said it before but I'll say it again. You are my hero. If I were you and in the same situation, I'd have done it also. Sequential serial numbers below 100. Hell below 1000 or 10,000 would just be awesome.

You're right about the money. For most of us, its not an issue. After all, its about the cars.

You have my best wishes and I cant wait to see the twins side by side one day, shining in all their glory. :classic:

Chris

Chris,

I have just been catching up on what must be a pretty exciting couple of weeks! I got close a couple of times in my late 280Z ownership experience. I once owned HLS30426919 and HLS30427175 at the same time. About a month after taking delivery of the 350Z I was presented with a dilemma and that was whether to buy HLS30437661 (paint code 611) to go along with my avatar which is HLS30437667 (paint code 611). What can I say, if the disease tastes this good why not have some more?

At the moment I am trying to accomplish the semi-impossible and that is to convince the original owner of an 08/70 (HLS308323) to part ways with the car. It has been off the road since before March of 1979 as best I can figure and if it comes to pass the herd may get some thinning.

Sorry to have missed the party but, I am planning to drive to Tampa this weekend (leaving Thursday night) and was wondering if it wouldn't be too much trouble to request a viewing of the 27th Z? The plans are to drive down (plan to drive HLS30366531 '77 280Z--pics in my gallery) and pick up the '91 Mustang GT from a friends house and hopefully this will help to blow out some of the cobwebs in the '77 280Z. Since the car was bought new in Pensacola in Feb. of '77 it hasn't managed to get back to visit her home state.

Hope to see some Z people this weekend?

Cheers.

p.s PM and I will be happy to exchange phone numbers.

Enjoyed looking at the pictures of 27th Z and I see you got some work cut out for you at least the glass looks good and the battery box looks better then a lot that I have seen and will definetly make the trip to see them when they are both complete. By the way is 26th Z is the picture on your avatar !!!!

I wonder what you will find when you start taking out the interior!

You may have spent 3 grand on somebodies stash!

From the pictures, I don't think one weekend with the plasma cutter and the Tig will be long enough, I better bring the mig and some cupons too!! (That means teach you how to weld, so we can both have a go at it!-don't worry, the mig has stargon, not spatter wire)

Will

Enjoy it chris if you ask me it's not about the money it's about the fact you have 26 & 27 that would be hard to find when they were new :).

The fact that they are both green and tan interior is a good example of how they built these cars.

:)