IGNORED

GRM 240Z vs 350Z comparo

2ManyZs

Yess siree DaddyZ-look at my gallery.

Uh, anyone who has an MGB works on it-The only way to keep one tuned up is to leave it in the driveway :stupid:!

With an MGB, atleast he isn't driving the price of my Z parts up on ebay!

Will

That reminds me of one of the shows on Speedvision which ends with the statement: "Don't crush 'em, restore 'em". With the rotisserie the rust should be all but non-existant when you are done with her?

Isn't that the show with the shrimpy little short guy who has a Handle Bar Moustache bigger than his _ _ _ _ ? (quite the fashion on Polk Street!)

Isn't that the show with the shrimpy little short guy who has a Handle Bar Moustache bigger than his _ _ _ _ ? (quite the fashion on Polk Street!) 

Carl,

I think it's that monotone voice on "American Muscle Car" that hopes we will save all muscle cars. The shrimpy guy is Dennis Gage on "My Classic Car" and that moustache is quite the crumb catcher? I often wonder how much he gets paid to be that goofy.

I really don't think of the 350Z as retro, the new Ford Mustang is retro-directly traceable through its lineage. I have to agree with Carl, and quote another member, it is a frog, a very nice, fast, comfortable, great handling frog with huge shoes, but a frog just the same.

I believe My 240Z will end up costing about 12 to 15K-including the car, it should be capable of greater accelleration than a stock 350Z(2400lbs/400hp vs 3225lbs/300hp), similar brakeing(swept area/weight ratios will be close), similar in handling-for stoplight to stoplight racing, and similar comfort-power windows, cup holders, good sterio and the lot.

If a 300hp 350Z is $30K or so, to bring its lb/hp ratio up to the target for my car, would mean it has to find another 254 hp and add only a hundered lbs. What would you think, another $12-15k? Lets see, 30K for the car + 12K(I split the difference)=42K, and I believe I will get close for less than $15K and thoroughly enjoy the trip-Hmmm... Granted, I have done only quick google searches to come up with 350Z upgrade cost, and have researched the crap out of 240Z upgrades, but SportZ is doing yet another article on upgrading the 350Z, and maybe one of you guys that has one has looked into the upgrade costs.

That said, I could be wrong on all of this, but I am putting the $12K, time and energy up or to up to find out, so before you flame, make(or document) a similar investment to prove your point!

I will outline what I am doing, keep the reciepts, and document the results.

Will

I believe I know whom you are quoting, and the exact quote goes something like this..."It's an ugly toad". Most people would never guess who said that either. 72240z makes some good points, however, it's not the technology that inspires classic owners. It's the fact that the 240Z was on it's way to a major classic from the start. That will very likely not happen with the 350Z. It was Mr K's struggle to convince Japan that they were idiots and he was right. It was the tremendous team in Japan that was locked in a stail design dungeon until the project was approved, and they show their real skills. It was taking Goethe's car and tossing it into the dumpster of stail design history. It's the fact that the 240Z is an American sports car made in Japan, and the 350Z is a Japanese sports car made in Japan.

Oh, and ditto Carl's comment.

And an S30 has no more in common with it (the Z33) than it does with the new Mustang! At least the Mustang is still a Ford. What does the Datsun company of the 70s have in common with the present Nissan comany? Hell, the present Nissan company doesn't have much in common with the Nissan company of the 80s.

Yeah, they have a French guy in charge.

:beard:

Interesting statement Blake! I have to agree 100% about the relationship between the old Nissan and new Nissan company. I guess if it wasn't for Mr. "G" (can't remember how to spell his name) Nissan would just be another page in the history books. I think its a great thing he did, turning around a company ready to roll over from an old management not willing to change with the times. Hell, Mr. "G" is not even Japanesse! So, I think its safe to say that a comparison between the 240Z/350Z and old Nissan/new Nissan are quite similar. Go figure!!! One thing is for certain....everytime I open my garage and see my beautiful toy (240Z), it always brings a big smile to my face. Now when I go for a drive, an incredible thing happens....a 53 years old man turns into a 20 something year old kid (with a bit more common sense of course). I just LOVE my 240Z...Ahmen! :knockedou

"I know who Mr. K is, he's a good friend of mine (I own a 240 don't I?)....and Mr. G, you ain't nooooooo Mr. K!" ROFL

Yess siree DaddyZ-look at my gallery.

Uh, anyone who has an MGB works on it-The only way to keep one tuned up is to leave it in the driveway :stupid:!

With an MGB, atleast he isn't driving the price of my Z parts up on ebay!

Will

Let me guess, Lucas electrical system.

Carl,

I think it's that monotone voice on "American Muscle Car" that hopes we will save all muscle cars. The shrimpy guy is Dennis Gage on "My Classic Car" and that moustache is quite the crumb catcher? I often wonder how much he gets paid to be that goofy.

Yes Bob, That is the guy (Dennis). That "thing" looks like WAY too much trouble to deal with (not to mention the significant "goofy" factor)

.............It was Mr K's struggle to convince Japan that they were idiots and he was right. It was the tremendous team in Japan that was locked in a stail design dungeon until the project was approved, and they show their real skills. It was taking Goethe's car and tossing it into the dumpster of stail design history. It's the fact that the 240Z is an American sports car made in Japan, and the 350Z is a Japanese sports car made in Japan.

Great comedy posting! :laugh: :love:LOL:love: But shouldn't this be in the 'Funnybone' section?

bpilati, I think I have a job for you. Get yourself over to 'Eyerack' and sort that mess out. They need somebody with vision, and the ability to cut to the chase and sort out the good guys from the bad guys. After you have finished there are a few other hotspots in the world that need a spot of bpilati-stylee analysis.

The Cast:

Mr K = White-hatted 'Good Guy' ( in the Gary Cooper mould ).

The Idiots In Japan = Black-hatted baddies ( er, no names no pack-drill - so no awkward questions about who they are, OK? )

Goethe = German Philosopher? Only here as a bit-part player ( but hey, he had just as much input on the '240ZEE' as that Goertz guy - so why not? ).

Yeah, they have a French guy in charge.

Ghosn is about as French as I am ( ie - not very ).

It's the fact that the 240Z is an American sports car made in Japan, and the 350Z is a Japanese sports car made in Japan

Bryan,

Where does that "fact" come from? Just because we consumed more Z cars than the rest of the world doesn't necessarily give us the right to claim it as our own. If that is the case than the Jaguar XKE was an "American" sportscar made in England? In my opinion that's the kind of thinking that has made the Bush administration a thing to be laughed at on the world stage.