IGNORED

GRM 240Z vs 350Z comparo

2ManyZs

For those of you who don't subscribe to GrassRoots Motorsports magazine, there is a nice article in this months issue comparing the 240Z to the 350Z.

All in all, it's a pretty good article. It briefly covers the history of the 240 (with no mention of the "G" name LOL ) and spends most of the article comparing the technology and the simplicity of the 240 compared to today's "sports car" the 350Z.

The best part of the whole article are the terms used to compare the styling of the two cars, in which they used the term "gimmicky" when descrbing the 350Z:cheeky: while describing the 240Z as "elegant".:love:

Well worth the price of the magazine IMO.

I guess I need to subscribe. Last night I heard about an upcoming article where they plan on taking a bone-stock 240Z out on the track for a test and then spend just a weekend "upgrading" it (presumably with a lot of the stuff many of us have already done). They will then test it and compare the results.

I guess comparisons between the 240Z and the 350Z are unavoidable. I really don't see the point. Might as well compare it to a Audi TT or a Porsche or whatever. Two different cars built for different reasons. You can almost say by two different companies. What does Datsun (Nissan) in the 60s and 70s really have in common with Nissan (Renault/Nissan) today? I have driven the 350Z and for what it is, it's a good (not great) car. I no way, however, does it represent an evolution of the Z. Not the S30 anyway. This, of course, is all IMHO.

The article basically says what you just said Stephen. :devious:

No matter how Nissan touts the 350Z as an "evolution" of the Z, it's just a bunch of PR hype.

I'm just glad someone put it out in print finally so that more people who share our opinion of the new Z can have their opinion out in print for everyone to see.

Originally posted by sblake01

You can almost say by two different companies. What does Datsun (Nissan) in the 60s and 70s really have in common with Nissan (Renault/Nissan) today?

This is also part of the point I was trying to make. I went with my nephew a couple of weeks ago to the local Chevrolet dealer to get some parts for his 65 Chevelle. Not only did he get all of his parts, some of them were actually in stock! Try that at your local Nissan dealer on parts for a 65 Datsun. I just don't think the present Nissan company is overly concerned about their history except in the area of marketing. They could have called this car anything but they chose to call it a 'Z'. The most successful car they ever built. But try to buy any early Z parts from Nissan. You don't see any 2004 510s or B210s or any Nissan with a number type name. Only the 'Z'. To me there is no connection between a 240Z and a 350Z.

My best friend has a 2004 Chromesilver 350z Enthusiast. It is a nice car to drive, has plenty of power and is very pleasing to the eye (both inside and out), but honestly...my 1972 240z up on jackstands does more for me than it could. Love my Z!!!!

I was asked a couple of days ago if I could drive anything, what would it be. My immediate answer was a 240Z suits me. I have Several new cars-and while they are nice, or suitable for specific tasks, none of them brings a smile to my face on the thought of taking a drive other than the Z.

I went and test drove several new sports cars-including the 350

with a freind who was looking, and he asked me which one I liked best, and I told him. Then he asked me which one I would buy, and my answer was none of them. He wasn't quite sure how to respond, so I explained it this way:

"You know that old bomber jacket you have(he has an old well worn leather jacket that he wears every chance he gets)." "Why don't you get a new one, you can afford it, that one is worn to the point of almost being shabby, and the leather is dirty-it is starting to look bad". He was obviously a little put out-I knew he would be. He said: "This is the most comfortable thing I can immagine, I love the feeling I get when I wear it-I thought you liked this jacket."

I said, "take that feeling and put it in a car-only make the car beautiful and everybody knows it." He looked at me and said, "your 240Z!"

I said, "yep, and I do like that jacket!"

He had the jacket cleaned and treated the next day, it looked almost new several days later when he showed up wanting "to put gas in my Z." He brought the Z back with 3/4 a tank and a knowing smile!

Will

I agree that the 350Z is a waste at best. If they really wanted to make it a sports car they should:

1. Tear out most of the sound system. Sports cars don't need more than 2 spreakers.

2. slim down the engine-- no a/c, cruise, power steering. Just the basic heater with defog. Fancy aluminum covers aren't needed, but the aluminum does save weight.

3. No convertable. Make it simple car to maintain ( and much safer) with a permanent, hard roof. If it carries a Zed name (from years ago) it should have more in common with the body design (except the bumpers!LOL)

You get the jist of my opinion. Just a simple sports car with strong engine, nothing to distract your attention, good handling and not too hard to keep looking good. If they had done all that, with the improved wiring & metals they have now, it would have been just as much a favorite as the 1st gen Zeds are now. Even 25 years from NOW.

Those same things explain why the older muscle cars are so valuable today.

But I guess they would rather listen to the marketing people about how to build a "sports car." :cry:

Originally posted by billramsey2002

acording to the history channels show they did on the Z they say its the car that saved nissan. imo with the 350 its going do hill again:disappoin

Is that 'going to hell again?' If that's what you're saying, I totally agree with you, Bill!:(

Come on now guys, The 350Z does have 4 wheels, an engine, and Nissan Z badges!

Of all of the "sportscars" I test drove recently, not one was memorable. They were all fast, they all handled well, but the were built for any fool to drive fast-they had absolutely no charactor. They were too smooth. They were bland(color does not count) and generic, and had absolutely no individuality. They were built for people who don't really know how to drive. Not one of them commanded respect from a driver-they were engineered to convince any driver into thinking he or she was Nascar capable, while filling up the senses with everything except the exhilleration of driving. Every car I drove was faster than my Z, but not one of them was even close to as exhilerating to drive.

Tomohawk, I like the way you think-except for the bit about A/C!

Only because I actually have one will I make this statement, the 350Z is the evolution of a 280ZX-NOT a 240Z.

Will