IGNORED

distributor cap fitment

kully 560

I ordered the wrong distributor cap! the one I have now is for a 1977 280z and the distributor cap needed is for a 1980 280zx distributor. the 280z fits fine tight no wobble  and ignition timing has not changed . does anybody know the difference between the 2 cap as they have different part #s. was ordering plugs for the 1977 and did not change the year for the distributor cap and rotor.

I personally run the ngk bp6es copper plugs like the originals, just widen the gap. Its something like .38 to .44 for the ZX. They're not stocking them anymore and reccomend a hotter bp5es I think.  I read it's a result of the new blend of gasoline & ethanol. Don't know for sure though, read on the www.com.

Ngk has a neat plug finder on there web page, try that.

How does the inside of the cap look?  If it's clean and the electrodes aren't corroded it's probably fine for a few more miles.

Just realized that I've been running resistor plugs with resistor wires.  Not sure what the effects are, I haven't noticed any.  Research needed.  But it's a reason to mess around a little more.  The plugs are new, but the wires old.  But I don't think you can get non-resistor wires any more.  Dilemma.

I made the mistake and ordered the 1977 280z  cap and rotor instead of the 1980 zx cap and rotor from rock auto.  the cap and rotor fits tight no play seems to fit like it belongs there and car runs great just seems fine. I would just do not know what the difference is being beck arnley has a different part # for the 1980 zx dissy 

Edited by kully 560

Not trying to be d*** but my '77 cap will not fit my ZX distributor. It's a good bit shorter and I'm unable to to clip the side hold downs on. But if you have the '77 cap and rotor I guess they will work together, if your car runs, I can't argue with that.

I apologize for doubting you.

Cliff

The ZX has the blue plug wires attached in these photos

20170422_134351.jpg

20170422_134317.jpg