IGNORED

Custom Wiring Harnesses

ZHadMan

I'm going to have a similar situation with my restoration when I get to that point. I plan to at least re-wrap my harnesses. My engine bay harness is going to need some work as well. The direct wire for wire replacement is my direction.

My source for connectors:

http://store.yahoo.com/eagleday/blco.html

I'm interested, but I'm not at that point of my project yet. Please keep me in mind as you get further into this.

Originally posted by Marty Rogan

One of our members on the email list posted a source for connectors a couple of weeks ago. Here is the link: http://www.mouser.com/catalog/615/606.pdf

And here's another source: http://store.yahoo.com/eagleday/blco.html

PS: Victor, I think you have a Roadster too, right? Here is an interesting parts source: http://www.datsunparts.com/

Marty, Those were the results of my first quest for these connectors- Here's the update.

Mouser.com Does not have the spade style, Fastin-Faston connectors used by Nissan in either the 6.35 [.250] or 2.79 [.110] series (spade terminal width)

http://store.yahoo.com/eagleday/ - Has .250 connectors very much like the AMP models used by Nissan, But only the 3 possition plug and socket fit (I bought one of each). The rest had differences in the pollarity assurances, so they won't work.

http://www.datsunparts.com <fairlady products> has most of the .250 size but not the .110 size. The roadster used bullet connectors instead.

Tyco/AMP still manufactures all these connectors, exactly as used by Nissan 1965 on. Visiting the Tyco/amp pages, I was able to bring up the specs for every connector in our harnesses and all were listed as "Active". But finding a distributor that will bother to sell you 100 connectors and 600 terminal pieces is a different story.

Inetesting, many of the blueprints on the Tyco/AMP site, for connectors used on our cars were labled "Yokohama, Japan". Obviously Nisssan didn't have to go very far to buy their connectors!

Well, I'm easy. I want NOTHING stock. I am putting in a ZX motor (yes, FI) and ZX harness to ge the car sorted while my engine is being built and then plan on just simplifying it as the new motor (NOT FI) and 6AL requires. 240 harnesses SUCK. I don't like Car-B-Q. The ZX harness will provide all my lights and dash controls--including tach, pressure/temp, fuel--and also a fuse box that doesn melt and modern ignition. When my 'standard' motor is ready, my plan is to just eliminate the 'puter and engine sensors and wire the MSD in. Don't want to hijack this thread, as I think there is a great market for a 'restored' harness. Out.

steve77

The Nissan 240Z Restoration Program literature suggests re-wrapping all harnesses and mentions 3m Scotchbrand tape, p/n 054007-06130. I have yet to go looking for the tape to compare. My original tape is very thin and does not appear to have adhesive on one side.

Thanks Victor and Marty for the references. This is exactly what makes this club great!

Thanks Victor and Marty for the references. This is exactly what makes this club great!

I agree! This is by far one of the best forums I have ever been a member of. The members are quite mature, proffessional, and helpful!

For those interested... here is my goals and plan for this project.

At first I am going to concentrate on studying, measuring, and duplicating the 70-73 wiring harnesses. I am going to use my wiring as an example for the 73 models. I need to get my hands on the other model year pieces as well as applicable wiring diagrams of the car.

I am also going to try and source out the original style connectors from a Tyco/Amp distributor. There are going to be several different types of connectors that I must obtain and if I have to buy in bulk quantities (100 or more) for each type I will have to front up some capital. Throw in model year differences and the issue is compounded. NOT impossible... just gonna take some time.

For members interested in wiring harnesses where originality is NOT an issue (Zvoiture) this will happen much quicker. Tyco/Amp (and other companies) make many different types of connectors that will work just as well if not better and are easier to obtain (in smaller quantities). I still need to access a harness and diagram for specific model years, but that is a small matter.

Second, I am going to try and work with some members who are local to me and have expressed interest in stock and custom wiring. This will give me a better idea of how difficult these harnesses will be to produce and to integrate into the Z. I am aiming for a simple installation, requiring minimal work on the members part when trying to install.

My GOAL is to produce a more specific and user friendly alternative to kits offered by the likes of Painless. It will take some time and doing, but it is an undertaking I am serious about.

If anyone needs any type of help with thier wiring needs then I am most available and eager to lend assistance. I think, when all said and done, that this will have been a meaningful endeavor. I appreciate everyones interest and support! Member involvement makes this an easier and enjoyable effort.

Originally posted by Zvoiture

Need a '73 harness?

Steve, I'd be interested to see the differences between the '71 and '73 harness. Doesn't the '73 have an extra set of wires to run the electronic fuel pump? If so, I'd like to copy that harness instead of my '71..... I will be running Mikuni's and need an electric pump.

-- MIke

Even my early 72 (71 according to Zhome.com) had the power for the electric pump ready, wrapped in the Nissan blue tape. Blue taped connectors were optional or connectors that were not used in certain models. Mike I'm willing to bet good money that if you look at your harness, at the fuel sender, you'll find teminals wrapped in blue tape, for the fuel pump. I have this harness at home and I'll take a photo when I get there.

Durr.. I didn't think about this at first. But, we are talking about the engine compartment harness at the moment... forgot that won't have anything to do with the harness going to the back of the car. :stupid:

But still... new harnesses for Z's are probably needed.

keith - please forgive me for this question, i know the last thing you need right now is pressure. I know you are serious about this project and are going to be working on it but,

I am about 8 to 10 weeks out from needing a full harness (71 240).

What are you projecting as a finish date?

If funding is an obsticle in your quest I would be willing to "front" money for my harness.

clayton

I'm interested in getting a replacement for the entire front section on my 280Z. The headlights would probablly be twice as bright, and I could get the AFM calibrated properly. ( Corroded wires have extra resistance which screws up the signal from the AFM.)

A whole new harness for the entire car is what I really need. You'd think that after so many years and so many people complaining about their headlights & such, there would be a company somewhere making new OEM-type wiring harnesses.

Like MGs as exampiles.

Otherwise I think I'd be satisfied with a source of wire with the original colors & gauges, but not the crappy insulation, so I can replace sections and still keep the original wiring map, in case I need repairs/debugging.

Even my cousin's '64 Mustang has better wiring!

yeesh. :ermm: