IGNORED

Custom Wiring Harnesses

ZHadMan

Hello all!

I have been going through my project car, attempting to document and plan all the work ahead of me. I have examined the body, interior, engine and last weekend finally took a good look at my Zed's wiring. It's in decent shape, but has been hacked a bit and painted over (possibly several times). I've done a few searches here and at Hybrid Z and have noticed that there are not many wiring/re-wiring options available to us (Painless aside).

I work as an electronics technician and do wiring repairs and replacements quite frequently and, as such, have been considering re-doing the wiring on my car. I know many people swap engines, add fuel injection, aftermarket ignition...etc. Has anyone on this site re-wired thier car on thier own (or know of someone who has)? A post in the 'Wanted' section added fuel to the fire, so to speak, and really has me thinking.

How many people would be interested in a replacement (for stock) or modified wiring harness? Possibly with a firewall disconnect so the wiring harness can be removed WITH the engine. I created a setup like this for my RX-7 Turbo II (gone now to fund my Z!) and could easily (with my harness as an example and a wiring diagram) produce something similar for Z owners.

PLEASE understand that I am merely trying to gauge interest. I don't own a business and am not looking to profit greatly from this endeavor. I am going to do this for my car regardless and was just wondering if anyone else would be interested. Wiring/re-wiring is a skill I posses and it may be my chance to help out the Z-community, which has helped me a TON!

Thanks for reading my long post!

-Keith

I've been looking for a good source for the AMP Faston-Fastoff plastic connector blocks as used in the original harnesses. If your research uncovers any info, I'd appreciate if you'd pass it on.

If originality wasn't an issue, I would prefer to use the GM Weather-Pac connectors and terminals. They are a MUCH better connector

I've been looking for a good source for the AMP Faston-Fastoff plastic connector blocks as used in the original harnesses.

Victor,

AMP still offers the Faston/Fastoff style connectors, but I would imagine that they have changed a bit over the past 30 years. Probably minor changes in design and materials, but changed none-the-less. The original connectors could always be re-used for originalities sake, but they would have to been in good condition and a source for the pins/sockets might have to be found.

When I have a chance I will take a closer look at my harness and take an inventory (and pictures) of the various connectors. I can easily get my hands on AMP and other connectors.

You're welcome to come wire my car! I would like to simplify, simplify, simplify.

Steve,

I would be glad to help you re-wire your car! Just need to set aside time and figure out how far you live from me! E-mail me with your ideas/goals and we can come up with a game plan... get things rolling.

-Keith

Victor/Keith,

One of our members on the email list posted a source for connectors a couple of weeks ago. Here is the link: http://www.mouser.com/catalog/615/606.pdf

And here's another source: http://store.yahoo.com/eagleday/blco.html

Hope this helps!

Marty

PS: Victor, I think you have a Roadster too, right? Here is an interesting parts source: http://www.datsunparts.com/

Originally posted by ZHadMan

How many people would be interested in a replacement (for stock) or modified wiring harness? Possibly with a firewall disconnect so the wiring harness can be removed WITH the engine. I created a setup like this for my RX-7 Turbo II (gone now to fund my Z!) and could easily (with my harness as an example and a wiring diagram) produce something similar for Z owners.

Hiya!! Yes, I am interested in something like this. In fact, I think the market for a replacement harness will be good. If nothing else, the engine harness is a biggie because most are in pretty bad shape.

This is my next project on my restoration. I would certainly like to talk with you more about a quick release harness for my engine compartment. How long do you think something like that would take to build? I have an extra harness I can send you if you have the capability to rebuild it.

-- Mike

How long do you think something like that would take to build? I have an extra harness I can send you if you have the capability to rebuild it.

Mike,

Well... it depends on a couple different factors. How original is your wiring? Are you running any aftermarket ignition equipment using the stock wiring (if applicable)? Are you running any other equipment that you would like, or potentially would want, wired into the harness?

A quick disconnect system would be 2 seperate harnesses (in effect). One on the interior (under the dash, passenger side) running to the firewall. The second harness would be the actual engine harness, running from the firewall into the engine bay.

I could re-build your spare harness and have it soldered up and ready to go. BUT... since I do not have access to the wiring under the dash I would have to provide to you detailed instructions on how to wire up the female side of the connector. I would have to assume that your wiring is un-molested and stock. Do you have the ability to solder up the in-car side of the harness?

Now, if I had the wiring diagram for the car, and approximate routing distances I could wire both harnesses and ship them back to you. This would save you potential headaches when trying to re-install them into your Z. I would still supply detailed instructions, including drawings/diagrams, to help you out.

I hope I wasn't confusing! I will definately help anyone with thier wiring issues/needs. I just want to ensure that any work I do is up to YOUR spec and that you are COMPLETELY satisfied when all is said and done. It would just take some communication on both parts to gaurantee this.

Thanks!

-Keith

...do you have a rough estimate of the price for a full set of harnesses, mostly stock with maybe a few extras thrown in?

At this point that would be a difficult question to answer. It would largely depend on the cost of materials. I would have to take a hard look at a complete wiring harness (including the in-car and engine wiring), examine the various types of connectors, wire types...etc.

On newer cars there are many connectors that have to be sourced directly from the manufacturer (Ford, GM, Toyota...etc) and they are very pricey! Victor mentioned that the original harnesses used AMP Faston/Fastoff connectors. Those can still be found (if slightly different than original) and we use their products here at work... so I can get those quite easily.

Older cars (including ours) had simple electrical systems when compared to more modern vehicles. From my cursory examinations of my wiring harness I did not see anything that would be difficult to obtain or substitute. Later model Z cars, with fuel injection may be a bit different in this area.

I do not have a digital camera, but if someone was able to take pictures of thier under-dash connectors (*hint hint* :)) I would be better able to estimate a cost. More research must be done here, but I am not going to sit on this... I am very driven to see this accomplished.

[edit]

The Painless kit includes the fuse block and associated hardware, if I remember correctly. Many of us would not neccesarily need to replace ours... just the wiring. I could... depending on the condition of the part, re-furbish the Datsun original pieces in place of replacement. But that is a secondary matter.

If I was gonna ball-park a price... hmmm... I could probably come in under or around the Painless price. My work, however, would not be for general or GM applications. It would be customized solely to the needs of the individual and thier Zed! LOL

Originally posted by ZHadMan

Well... it depends on a couple different factors. How original is your wiring? Are you running any aftermarket ignition equipment using the stock wiring (if applicable)? Are you running any other equipment that you would like, or potentially would want, wired into the harness?

Keith,

I don't have any aftermarket items in the engine compartment. And, I'm thinking the quick disconnect will probably be more of a pain to install than it's worth. What about just a stock wire-for-wire replacement? The only pain in the arse will be getting the connectors for the ends of the wiring.

If I sent you this wiring harness, could you simply copy it with new connectors and fittings?

-- Mike

If I sent you this wiring harness, could you simply copy it with new connectors and fittings?

Mike,

I sure could! Send me an E-mail or PM with your contact information and we'll work it all out. Is it possible for you to send me a picture of the harness, too? That way I can see how much of it is there and plan ahead for what may need to be replaced.

-Keith