IGNORED

original jute material

kats

On 1/23/2022 at 1:09 AM, zed2 said:

Front passenger.jpg

I believe that jute section is wrongly positioned. It appears to be upside down and back-to-front, if that makes sense. That long oblong cutaway at the front is for the Japanese market seat mounts, whilst the more square cutouts at the rear are for the passenger footrest bar mounts. 

Edited by HS30-H

4 hours ago, zed2 said:

Kats,

Are you aware of any JDM floorboard stamping that would necessitate the jute cutouts indicated by the red circles in the photo below?

Driver jute HLS3004684 reduced no background circles.jpg

Thanks,

Keith

They look like they are to accommodate the Japanese market forward seat mounts.

Below photo shows left (passenger) side floor of Japanese market RHD car:

Seat mount brackets.JPG

5 hours ago, zed2 said:

The photo in Post #120 is the USDM left side, noted by the heel pad on the floor mat. 

Yes, I noticed the carpet section was LHD format but I was specifically addressing your question about the jute section next to it.

Do you agree with my thoughts on the cut-outs in the rear end of the jute being there to accommodate the Japanese market forward seat mounts (and hence 'universal' jute pattern)?

1 minute ago, HS30-H said:

Yes, I noticed the carpet section was LHD format but I was specifically addressing your question about the jute section next to it.

Do you agree with my thoughts on the cut-outs in the rear end of the jute being there to accommodate the Japanese market forward seat mounts (and hence 'universal' jute pattern)?

HS30-H,

I understand your observation.  I am a bit confused however, since the USDM Series 1 were shipped to the United States (US) without carpet and padding.  The carpet and padding were cut and installed in the US, therefore why would US fabricator make accommodations for Japanese market forward seat mounts?

(Unfortunately, I do not have access to "Japanese market forward seat mounts" to compare the measurements of the bracket locations and the cutouts.)

The mystery is not yet solved!

Thanks for your input!

Keith

44 minutes ago, zed2 said:

I understand your observation.  I am a bit confused however, since the USDM Series 1 were shipped to the United States (US) without carpet and padding.  The carpet and padding were cut and installed in the US, therefore why would US fabricator make accommodations for Japanese market forward seat mounts?

Here is, perhaps, a reminder for us of the elasticity of the 'Series 1' term... I'm not a fan!

Wasn't it only the very first (whatever that means...) few HLS30Us that were shipped without carpets and ended up getting the locally made versions? I have a 4/70 HLS30U and it certainly had factory-fitted carpet when new. 

The jute section in question looks like a factory piece to me (?). If it is, then I'd expect it to have - at least - the cut-outs for the possibility of a passenger foot rest bar in the same 'tits-on-a-bull' (pardon my French) way that the tar mat does on my 4/70 HLS30U. The cut-outs at the rear certainly look to be in the right place, and the right shape, to accommodate the Japanese market forward seat mounts. Plenty of other stuff on these cars is there only because they were designed with other variants in the mix, after all.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...

Prototype:

Natural color

E1B610F8-B783-4D92-B420-2AF932AD3C7D.jpeg

Final color:

B1E97B68-312D-4584-97C4-5E641F9A0575.jpeg

I have not yet trimmed the cutouts….I am still attempting to confirm the actual cutouts based on my 240Z production date.

The material I source is 39+/- 1" in width, currently I can purchase 10 yards, imported from overseas.  I then have to have the material color matched.  I then have to hang the material outside to reduce the fumes. The materials, chemicals, and labor for the two front mats shown above are approximately $450 all in (this is a set I plan to use).  As I have discovered on some samples, the color did not penetrate 100% of the material, leaving some of the original uncolored material evident.  Therefore, I may have to have the material color matched after cutting to pattern.

I have not tested the color for colorfastness, off-gassing in an enclosed vehicle, and water repellency or absorption.  Therefore, I consider any sample and my set a prototype.

At this juncture, it is not feasible to offer large pieces to others.  I want to get some samples to Z owners for their feedback.  Once I have confidence in the process and product I will make it available to the Z community.

Keith

Edited by zed2
  • Like 2

Hi Keith , that is so nice , I just imagine how much passion and efforts has been put into the jute . You will be rewarded I am sure . 
We will get to know how the jute pads are shaped . There are a lot of good examples here and there .

Kats

For USDM, the early Z (Series 1) was delivered with a rubber mats.  A California based trim shop (Chester and Herod Auto Carpets, not located in Texas) manufactured a five (5) piece carpet set which was generally installed or included in the rear hatch area prior to the vehicle being delivered to the dealer.  Some dealers overlayed the carpet on the rubber mats.  Some dealers removed the rubber mats prior to installing the carpet. 

It is still unclear whether the jute underlay was factory installed under the rubber mat.  Why would Nissan have an underlay (that could potentially trap moisture) under a rubber mat?  Sound deadening perhaps? 

Keith

• Like 1