IGNORED

Diesel Crank.

Gav240z

haven't read anything about the diesel cranks being made of anything different than the other L series cranks. Not to say Halz is wrong just can't confirm this.

The Diesel crank allows for a bigger stroke ie the difference between l24 and l26. If you've got a L24 in your Z you'll know it's a nice revving engine mainly because of the shorter stroke.

The l28 is a bit chunkier :) doesn't like to rev the same as the old l24 but doesn't do so bad.

The diesel crank will allow for 2.9ltr capacity in an L28 block. You'd need to give the cylinders an overbore to get the l28 to 3.1ltr but it's common practice.

My friends setup has (200b L20 rods) diesel crank P90 head etc.. and the thing like to rev nice sounds awesome too with the stock SU's.

I would like to emulate his set up as it is cheap to do and his car is pretty fast :).

So far if I'm reading this correctly if you put an LD28 carnk in a stock L28 with no other changes then you have just created a 2.9 and if you bore out the cyls then you could have a 3.1

If all you do is put in the LD28 crank and make no other mods how will the car perform? Better, worse, or what? And how/what will it change? If that was all I planned on doing would there be other parts that would have to be changed also or just the crank?

All the writeups I have seen talk about doing the 3.1 upgrade and I had no plans of doing this. I was just curious if the LD28 crank would benefit me without doing the other mods.

BTW: I will be running an N42 head if this matters.

texasz,

Did you read the write up by Bob Hanvey? The link is listed in this thread. He basically answers your question.

Just puttingan LD28 crank (diesel) into an L28 block (with no other mods) will put your pistons 2mm above the block deck height. This now becomes the spot where your pistons and valves mate and become one. No good.

Besides, the LD28 crank is slightly heavier than a standard L28 crank, due to the inherant nature of a diesel engine. If you're looking for more power in a somewhat standard 2.8L motor, then read Brian Little's website on getting more out of an L28. Lot's of good info there...that's where my plan is coming from for my L28 motor later next year.