Putting out the feelers - For Sale - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content
Be cautious of scammers! If you are asked to send Zelle, Paypal, or even gift cards it is likely a scam. Be smart and talk on the phone and trade real photos. Check every profile and never do business with a member who joined less than 6 months ago.

Putting out the feelers

Featured Replies

Gents,

Looks like I might have to put up my Z for sale and I'm curious to know if there's a good market for the early-series Z cars right now. Mine is a 1971 model with parts from 1970 and 1971. Most of you know the history of my car but in a nutshell it was completely sandblasted and restored from the frame. Serial numbers do not match as the original owner let the car freeze while it was in storage. I've had the car since I was in high school (a looooong time ago). I bought it from the father of the original owner, Bob Gilder (pro golfer). Bob used the car when he was just getting started as a newlywed in the PGA. He used to drive the car to tournaments and I might be able to dig out a few photos of him pulling clubs out of the back of the car. Car was originally silver.

Engine is a balanced/blueprinted L28 from Rebello and the carbs are triple Mikuni's with separate air cleaners. This was the first engine to have the triple weber setup from Steve at Ztherapy. Unfortunately it does not have the triple SU's as Steve kept those for his own projects. Suspension is adjustable Tokico's and matching springs. Pretty much everything else is stock except for the color of course. It does have sway bars installed. Dash is a new one from Les Cannaday when he was building the early reproductions that Nissan put together. Wheels are VTO classic 8's wrapped with tires that are only a few years old. Right now she's sitting covered in a storage unit and I just don't have the space to keep her at home. Windshield is the last remaining unit that we found in Nissan's inventory. All other glass is original, including the hatch with vertical defrosters (a 1970 model leftover when it was assembled).

I have a Nismo fuel pump and bracket that has not yet been installed. Plenty of books, manuals, microfiche, and extra goodies will come with the deal. Not many things wrong, but there are a few glitches. The brake fluid distribution valve could use a rebuild. Some brake fluid dripped onto the rail under the distribution valve caused the paint to peel a bit. The MSA 6-1 headers get very hot and it affects the braking, I would think new owner should have the headers removed and coated or covered to prevent this (or use a higher temp brake fluid). There is a small paint bubble near the fuel filler that I have not yet looked into. Headlight cones were painted after the main car was done so the paint color is slightly different (body guy wasn't able to match the color exactly). Cold starts after sitting for months can sometimes take a few times, but she starts and drives without issue. Engine sounds great and does not leak any oil. Entire car is pristine and needs more daily attention than I've been giving her... I would consider her a stock resto-mod.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or just comment here. Not sure if it would pull more value with a direct sale or if I should even consider putting her up on BAT. Thanks guys!

Mike

IMG_6138.JPG

Solved by Patcon

I'm sad just reading this. What a beautiful car! I'm certainly no expert, but it looks like a car that would do well on BAT to me.

  • Solution

I would think BaT with a healthy reserve. I wouldn't consider a no reserve auction, too easy to lose it cheap.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

$25,500 For instance, Less fees. Not a chance IMHO. Sell it privately to someone that’s going to preserve it.

I think it looks Great!

The front end look great! It could easily be changed by the new owner. I suspect if he couldn't figure that out he probably would not be interested in buying a really nice z car.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.