IGNORED

Original 280z brake caliper color?

sboy79

I'm rebuilding my 77 280z brake calipers and plan on blasting and painting them. What was the original color? I'm seeing both silver (or raw casting??) and black when doing a google image search.  It's not a huge deal, but I figure I'll try to make them look original if possible.

I posted this up before, but cannot find the link to that discussion now! Here is a picture from a 260Z brochure, along with some images of a NOS caliper. The flat grey finish matches between the brochure image and actual part.IMG_0378.JPGBrochure Scan Caliper.jpg IMG_0376.JPG 

• Like 1

Well I blasted them and they look pretty good raw so I think I'll leave them like this. I'm attaching some before/after pics. Thanks for the quick replies everyone! I left piston/seals in place so I didn't have to mask the bores. I'll replace all that stuff tonight when I rebuild.

IMG_4916.jpg

IMG_4918.jpg

IMG_4919.jpg

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

That looks really good. Maybe a flat or matte clear spray would keep them looking good for a long time?

Yeah they cleaned up nicely. Either a coat of clear or even some wax spray. This was just a quick and dirty blasting-- I would probably need to do a little better job blasting and then solvent clean them really well to get a good surface for paint.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They look great!! But as you know yourself, they will go rusty pretty quickly after being washed / introduced to humidity or rain!

In my experience, I VHT silver paint mine out of the spray can and they last a VERY long time. They look OEM but the paint isn’t thick like other calliper paints.

But, having said all that, I LOVE the idea of matt finish clear coat as suggested above.

While a primer only, this would be better than bare, and to my eye, looks like the factory finish.  Maybe buy a can, and if you don't use it for the calipers, ultimately, it is a very good primer.

image.png

Edited by inline6
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

I thought that those calipers were dark grey?  (Maybe unpainted..?)  I hear nobody talk about temp resistant paint? I would use some paint on it that can handle well over 150 Celcius.. (How much fahenrats that is i don't know [emoji6] )

I did!! ;) VHT = Very Hight Temp (paint).

I’ve done this for decades on callipers and it seems to be pretty good - however, if you let lots of brake dust sit on it for a long time, then you need to touch it up.

I’ve found Simonize VHT with a light spray over of Matt clear coat does the trick for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Thanks 1