IGNORED

Door lower weatherstripping 280z

MH77280Z

Guys, pretty simple part to install with pins. I bought these online at ebay and they came short for my 280z. Anyone tried them from other sources. Would appreciate if someone can share a pic or 2. I am reluctant to buy from zcar as i feel i will get he same item which will come out short. Any reliable sources and if anyone saw this issue with 280z?

Of course i have to ask, how are they “short”? Do they have less than the 4 or 5 holes they are supposed to have? Do you have to stretch it more than 5% when you install it to get the holes to line up? Or are you assuming it’s short because it “should be longer” in your view? 

The ones I’ve installed in the past (Precision and VintageRubber) both had to stretch ever so slightly to get all the holes to line up but it spanned the first and last hole + about an inch on each end. 

In fact I have an original 1/71 car in shop I can check. It has it strip in place on the bottom of the door. I can go look and measure and get this settled now. Hang on.

20 hours ago, zKars said:

I have an original 1/71 car in shop I can check.

I never had those on my 2/71 240z. never missed them, where are they good for? noisedampening?  collecting water so the door rusts even faster?🙊

Lot of you guys are in dryer clymates, but over here.... I wouldn't install them even when i had a brand new set lying around!  The rubber that's around the door is sufficient in my eyes..  (It's like the extra rubber in the top of the tailgate. NON-existent on my car also..) 🤣

5 hours ago, Yarb said:

Agreed, They didn’t design it for production without a reason.

+1 on agree. I see it as a splash shield to keep excess water out of the door sill. Look at the outer hatch seal and you will see a similar function - it is the first line of defense for the hatch area, not a perfect seal but enough to deflect most of the water.

Edited by jfa.series1
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

If there is a room for a seal in this area on 280z then i assume without it there would be a gap. I dont drive in rain or wet weather even here in CA. Can report wind noise with or without it. But people who drive in wet i think this can help protect the sill area. You dont want water to be sitting under those for sure.

Let me take the pics as well @zKars mine are coming too short once i start installing from either side. They have 4 holes which is what my door has but the 4th dont align like i said when you start installing either end.

Edited by MH77280Z

13 hours ago, MH77280Z said:

But people who drive in wet i think this can help protect the sill area. You dont want water to be sitting under those for sure.

Hahaha... I do drive in the wet.. but my sill aluminum strips are lying in my sellar (also known as the big pile of parts store!)  So they don't get wet! 

I drove my 240z most in the winter as i really really don't want to restore a 300zxtt !!  (A 240z restore IS MMUCH simpler!) 

As for the noise dampening of the strip under the door.. haha.. i hear my engine and (not really original) exhaust drowning out everything, so i'm not bothered by a little ambient noise.

• Like 1