IGNORED

Video recommendation: "My Mechanics" restores a 240Z

florian

Nice job!  As this is part 3... there are gonna be some 10-15 parts i guess? 

Very nice recordings of the work.

The "leading" you (he) uses is this soldering tin like 40/60?  made of lead and tin? i always wanted to know what is what? 40% lead and 60% tin? or the other way around so, 60% lead and 40% tin?  Who can tell me this?  Or is it pure lead, i don't think so because that's to soft..

I have seen restorers use the leading technic and it's a very good way to finish sheetmetall like that hoodedge.  Well Done!!

• Like 1

I just gotta say - I have a lot of respect for this guy. Completely unrelated; prior to, I had been watching his videos where he restored random stuff like coffee grinders or whatever and I thought he was doing something cool. My YouTube (of course) recommends z related stuff. I started watching this guy's z restoration, quickly became enamored. He's handmaking so many of these parts, tastefully documenting his journey along the way with his recordings. This is commendable in its own right -as @Richie G said, it's "mesmerizing". At some point he hammers the front apron flush, end to end - a little unseen seam that even the original z engineers overlooked because, well, who cares, nobody's gonna see it!? Anyways, I randomly get into this z restoration, and, turns out, this is THE SAME GUY who had been entertaining me months prior with his well done and beautifully presented restorations of random kitchenware and various archaic hand tools. 

Now, this isn't even to mention all the bs random nonsense he's had to deal with off camera - stuff that we, the audience, will never see. Random things breaking or irreversibly bending, bolts flying off into oblivion... you name it. And, how about all the rust he's found hidden beneath a layer of already rusted metal? We're talking past the doglegs; beneath the corroding metal one sees along the the back window. 

Of course we, fellow z owners, feel his pain (I'll be damned if I don't break at least one bolt in any endeavor or have to overcome some small, small detail in what should be a boiler plate operation), but that just adds to the level of detail, dedication, and craftsmanship this guy achieves! He has a keen eye in general and set his sights upon our beloved z car. This guy is getting it done son, and I love it!

• Like 2

I'd just like to add: I've been largely absent from the z forum community (not that I was ever influential, or nothing) for a while and I got on here to just spread the news of this guy's videos, but @florian beat me to the punch. Regardless, I will endorse the YouTuber's videos as if I were getting paid to do so - I love it that much!

I implore you to watch his z restoration - it's not only a good way to get ideas for your own car, it's very well put together and entertaining to watch. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

The "leading" you (he) uses is this soldering tin like 40/60?  made of lead and tin? i always wanted to know what is what? 40% lead and 60% tin? or the other way around so, 60% lead and 40% tin?  Who can tell me this?  Or is it pure lead, i don't think so because that's to soft..

Eastwood (USA specialty supplier) sells body solder.  They says theirs is 30% tin / 70% lead.  They also sell specially-shaped wood 'paddles' for its application.  Check it out here...

Eastwood Body Solder Stick

• Thanks 1

Thanks again for posting these, they are indeed mesmerizing, and it is fascinating watching a true craftsman perform.  Although, it is going to have a negative effect on the repairs that I do myself, because he's in a completely different league, I'm not worthy!  Also, I just want to spend time with the tools he has at his disposal, especially the sandblaster.  

5 hours ago, Paulytunes said:

Thanks again for posting these, they are indeed mesmerizing, and it is fascinating watching a true craftsman perform.  Although, it is going to have a negative effect on the repairs that I do myself, because he's in a completely different league, I'm not worthy!  Also, I just want to spend time with the tools he has at his disposal, especially the sandblaster.  

😆 Yeah, I know what you mean, my work looks like a hack did it compared to this guy.  That small blaster he is using inside the car I think is a dry ice blaster, there is no blast media build up when he's using it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Confused 1