IGNORED

Taillight Gasket Exhaust Leak?

chaseincats

23 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Haha!! LOL  Add it to the list for next time!

I saw it posted either here or at Zcar.com many years ago. I think I installed a body plug there when I was replacing the bumpers on my 260Z.

2 hours ago, SteveJ said:

Forgot one hole: There's a drain hole for the power antenna. It's near the exhaust.

I slapped a piece of duct tape over it making sure its flush all the way around, thanks.  There's actually 2 of them, that one and a smaller one (about the size of a dime) further down that panel.

Edited by chaseincats

7 hours ago, chaseincats said:

I slapped a piece of duct tape over it making sure its flush all the way around, thanks.  There's actually 2 of them, that one and a smaller one (about the size of a dime) further down that panel.

If you ever need to cover a hole, don't use duct tape.  Use foil tape.  It is actually the correct tape to use for ducts too.  🙂  It sticks great and will not fall apart like duct tape does.  We use it all the time on prototype vehicles.  I always use it on race cars to cover stick-on wheel weights so they don't fall off from the brake heat.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Wow 1

Update: I haven't smoked the car yet - that probably won't be for a month+ since my friend owns the machine and has a very demanding job - but I did want to share that if you have a gasoline smell in your car, change out the original-style clamps on the vapor tank's hoses to modern belt clamps and that will put an end to that issue I discovered.

Edited by chaseincats
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Final update:

We fogged the car like in that video again last weekend and confirmed sealing the taillight gaskets with Seal 'N Peel (one bead between the gasket and the light housing and a second between the gasket and body) worked perfectly - no smoke escapes there anymore.

That said it didn't 100% fix the issue meaning there were leaks else where which we found due to a shotty weld job done by the PO when replacing the hatch base which must have been rusty.

Fogging:

- I saw this originally on another thread which I cant find but besides what we did (throwing the fog machine in the car and shutting the door) there's actually a better way to do it.

- Once the car is fully pressurized with the fog machine, the smoke will escape from the paths of least resistance, which isn't the tiny pinholes in the back.  The trick is to have someone hold the smoke machine behind the car and move it around while you turn on a shop vac and let it sit in the hatch area creating a vacuum (just like how the car works while driving).

You will see where the smoke is sneaking in then just wipe some seal 'n peel or whatever sealant you have left and its game over.  You'd be surprised where smoke sneaks in, for example, smoke was sneaking in AROUND one of the rivets I found.

This is definitely worth your time to do at least in my opinion. 

• Like 4