IGNORED

Suspension rides too high - What are my options? ('72 240Z)

Jughead

Hi All, 

I have a '72 240Z.  I had my suspension rebuit last summer and now the ride seems too high.  (It measures 3-4 inches - measured from the top of the tires to the bottom of the fender openings.)   

(See below for pics of Before & After the suspension rebuild.  The snowy one is "after".)

I had bought new springs from Z Car Source of Arizona.  The guy answering the phone told me the springs were "stock" spec, and kind of brushed me off.  (His number is now disconnected.)  I also had KYB struts and all bushings, etc. from MotorSport installed at the same time.  Everything else is stock.  The tires are new too - stock size (195 70R 14).

Questions:

1) Has anyone else had the same experience with or without these springs?

2) Will the ride self-lower with time?   (I've put less than 200 miles on the car since installing the springs/struts.)

3) What are my options to get to stock? 

4) AM I over thinking this?!

Thanks much!

Z B4.JPGAFter.JPG

The "stock" springs that were sold to you might have come from a later year and heavier car, i.e. a 260Z or 280Z. If so, that could explain the higher ride height. Cutting coils is certainly an option but it comes with a penalty of higher spring rates and a stiffer ride. Your best long term bet is to start over with a known product, Eibach Progressive and Voightland are a couple of options. I experimented with cut-down stock 240Z springs with two coils removed. It did lower the car some but the ride quality suffered so I returned to Eibachs that I had on hand.

Thanks all - very helpful.  The springs I installed were represented as correct for a 1972 240Z,  so needless to say, I'm disappointed. 

Can I be sure that the springs are the problem and that replacing them will give me stock specs? 

@jfa.series1:  What springs are you running on your car (pictures)?

Thanks guys - very helpful.   The springs were represented as correct for a 1972 240Z.

Can I be sure that different springs will give me a diffent height.   

Will it eventually sit lower with time/miles?   

Can I get a better look (i.e. less gap) by changing the tires?

@DatsunZGuy:    Thanks for the data point

• Like 1

It looks good to me as is. 

I have what jonbill suggested done to mine. They called it "collapsing" the springs. 

I run 15" wheels and really like the look. 

Looking closer, the front may be a little higher? I'm not sure the brand name but I've read there are "front" and "rear"  specific struts that have been installed wrong.

Screenshot_20190102-183746_Gallery.jpg

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem with Z Source "stock" springs. I was told I got the first set after extensive "testing" had been completed. I did not want a lowered stance, so I got a "lifted" one instead...! I am still working on my car before it is put back on the road...I'll make my decision after I drop it down and drive it for a while. That being said, I hear that Z Source folded. They were never friendly, always right about everything, always in a hurry...just my observation.