IGNORED

low oil pressure

Wally

got in a new fitting and its proper size. i put it on a mechanical gauge like in image. It didnt read anything. when i screwed it out to put the sender back in oil started coming out of the hole which is a first. Oil never comes out when i remove sender unit

Is that normal? should i be concerned

image.jpeg

Edited by Wally

If I'm understanding correctly, no it's not normal. Have you looked in the oil filler cap with the engine running? Are you seeing oil slinging around?

Did the oil pour our of the hole where the oil sender was threaded when you unthreaded it?

• Like 1

That's a compression gauge isn't it?

You can get an 1/8 npt at Lowe's in the swimming pool section. My local store has one up to 60 psi but that's high enough. The oe dash cluster gauge only goes to 90.

With a high volume turbo pump on my pretty fresh 2.4 it pegs the high side while driving. Idles at half gauge.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Aqua-EZ-Pressure-Gauge/3151541

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Patcon said:

If I'm understanding correctly, no it's not normal. Have you looked in the oil filler cap with the engine running? Are you seeing oil slinging around?

Did the oil pour our of the hole where the oil sender was threaded when you unthreaded it?

Havent opened the oil cap while running will try that next. when i unthreaded the gauge i was using oil came out... i wouldnt say a lot but some did.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

That's a compression gauge isn't it?

You can get an 1/8 npt at Lowe's in the swimming pool section. My local store has one up to 60 psi but that's high enough. The oe dash cluster gauge only goes to 90.

With a high volume turbo pump on my pretty fresh 2.4 it pegs the high side while driving. Idles at half gauge.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Aqua-EZ-Pressure-Gauge/3151541

Ah. thanks i will get that gauge and retry things

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

You'll see it kinda boucing around the cam lobes when the caps off. It's not going to shoot out like crazy if the car's idling.

just went out and did that. i didnt see oil sloshing around at all. i did see the lobe right under the cap area and it clearly had oil on it turning.

i did order a new sender. Only like 20 bucks so what the heck

Edited by Wally

I'd pull the valve cover, cover as much of the surrounding area with some thing to catch the oil, (shop towels, bath towels, plastic sheeting, etc), start it, ensure the cam is getting oiled from one end to the other, shut it off and clean up the mess. That's how I discovered an early oil spray bar that was severely gummed up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i got in the new PSI gauge. highest it registered was about 11psi...maybe 12 at one point. Me reving engine from idle didnt seem to impact the pressure

Its on my to do list to pull off valve cover. i will try to take a quick video of it when i do.

Edited by Wally