Jump to content

IGNORED

low oil pressure


Wally

Recommended Posts

where would you start to troubleshoot? 

engine rebuilt professionally not long ago. Runs great. gauge seems to work, just very low. sending gauge and oil pump is new. Of course that doesnt mean anything today i know. 

I am thinking change oil and go with a slightly heavier oil. Castol 10-30. Then check. I have another gauge, so i may swap that out just to check. Other than that i am not sure outside buying another pump and sender unit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

all my gauge fittings wont fit in the engine block where the oil sender goes. it appears to be m10-1.0 fitting and none of the parts houses or Ace hardware carry them.

can someone confirm the proper fitting or maybe link what adapter is need to test?

 

btw, i put wire to oil sender to hot on battery....gauge went all way over, so i would think the gauge is okay. something else is the issue

Edited by Wally
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to put it out there plainly, the block threads are 1/8 BSPT. The adapter needed is the one SteveJ linked to, BSPT male into the block, 1/8 NPT female to thread in common gauge fittings. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Patcon said:

The oil pressure senders are notoriously inaccurate. I think thos are british standard; npt should work

I agree…..Most of the oil pressure gauges seem to read low, especially at idle. Unscrew the the oil filler cap on the valve cover when she’s running. You’ll make a mess if she’s got oil pressure.  🤪

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SteveJ said:

You aren't giving us much in the way of details here. 

the male end wouldn't go into the block where the sender goes. It appears to be regular 1/8th on both ends. I ordered another one by a different company. Maybe i just got a faulty one

Link to comment
Share on other sites

got in a new fitting and its proper size. i put it on a mechanical gauge like in image. It didnt read anything. when i screwed it out to put the sender back in oil started coming out of the hole which is a first. Oil never comes out when i remove sender unit

Is that normal? should i be concerned

 

 

 

 

 

 

image.jpeg

Edited by Wally
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I'm understanding correctly, no it's not normal. Have you looked in the oil filler cap with the engine running? Are you seeing oil slinging around?

Did the oil pour our of the hole where the oil sender was threaded when you unthreaded it?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's a compression gauge isn't it?

You can get an 1/8 npt at Lowe's in the swimming pool section. My local store has one up to 60 psi but that's high enough. The oe dash cluster gauge only goes to 90.

With a high volume turbo pump on my pretty fresh 2.4 it pegs the high side while driving. Idles at half gauge.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Aqua-EZ-Pressure-Gauge/3151541

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Patcon said:

If I'm understanding correctly, no it's not normal. Have you looked in the oil filler cap with the engine running? Are you seeing oil slinging around?

Did the oil pour our of the hole where the oil sender was threaded when you unthreaded it?

Havent opened the oil cap while running will try that next. when i unthreaded the gauge i was using oil came out... i wouldnt say a lot but some did.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

That's a compression gauge isn't it?

You can get an 1/8 npt at Lowe's in the swimming pool section. My local store has one up to 60 psi but that's high enough. The oe dash cluster gauge only goes to 90.

With a high volume turbo pump on my pretty fresh 2.4 it pegs the high side while driving. Idles at half gauge.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Aqua-EZ-Pressure-Gauge/3151541

 

Ah. thanks i will get that gauge and retry things

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Wally said:

Havent opened the oil cap while running will try that next. when i unthreaded the gauge i was using oil came out... i wouldnt say a lot but some did.

You'll see it kinda boucing around the cam lobes when the caps off. It's not going to shoot out like crazy if the car's idling.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

You'll see it kinda boucing around the cam lobes when the caps off. It's not going to shoot out like crazy if the car's idling.

just went out and did that. i didnt see oil sloshing around at all. i did see the lobe right under the cap area and it clearly had oil on it turning.

 

i did order a new sender. Only like 20 bucks so what the heck

Edited by Wally
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd pull the valve cover, cover as much of the surrounding area with some thing to catch the oil, (shop towels, bath towels, plastic sheeting, etc), start it, ensure the cam is getting oiled from one end to the other, shut it off and clean up the mess. That's how I discovered an early oil spray bar that was severely gummed up.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i got in the new PSI gauge. highest it registered was about 11psi...maybe 12 at one point. Me reving engine from idle didnt seem to impact the pressure

Its on my to do list to pull off valve cover. i will try to take a quick video of it when i do.

Edited by Wally
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.