IGNORED

280z speaker options- storage compartments, rear hatch, etc

fusion

I am looking to add speakers to my 1976 280z. Just looking for decent sound, nothing special. Not looking to put speakers in the doors or kick panels. Also putting an enclosure in the hatch area also out as I don't like that option either for the aesthetics and loss of hatch space.

I have found the following options:

1) Factory location: 5 1/4 speakers that mount in the rear quarter panel area

post-8596-14150819515211.jpg

Pros: no modifications needed.  

Cons: I've read that the sound is terrible. Need to acquire/fabricate brackets

2) speaker adapter kit to mount on rear plastic trim that covers tail lights

Screenshot_20221129_092400_Chrome.jpg

Pros: super easy, cheap

Cons: unknown speaker size, sound quality. Mounting to the plastic trim piece probably doesn't yield good sound output. I haven't called this company yet.

https://zparts.com/index.php/product-category/280z-parts/interior-280z-parts/

3) mount speakers in storage compartments

DSC00861.jpg

Pros: not much fabrication?? Large speakers(6x9?). Quality sound?

Cons: lose storage space

I think the storage compartment looks like the best option. Has anyone this and can comment? What about the other options?

Thanks

I have 4" Pyles I bought at Walmart that fit perfect in place of the OEs in the rear sides of my '77. They were cheap but sound decent and have big magnets. Mine are yellow but apparently they've gone to blue now. Here's mine...

https://pyleusa.com/products/plg4-2

Pretty neat pods here in a '76. Read post #13

Edited by siteunseen

Years ago, I installed a pair of Pioneer surface mounted speakers similar to these on a '72 I owned. 

I attached them directly to rear storage compartment doors. Doing so allowed me to open and close it to access both compartments.

Another idea, if you are not a stickler for originality, is to install a pair of older Mazda Miata seats the speakers built into the headrests.  Just a thought.

image.png

image.png

On one of my 240s I did something similar to #2. It was an entire rear panel that replaced the tail light panel. It had speaker enclosures. Not sure if those are still available, but could be built, and easy to go back to stock. 

Similar to this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403018147845?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=403018147845&targetid=1645685073528&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9010611&poi=&campaignid=16730423415&mkgroupid=135815925780&rlsatarget=pla-1645685073528&abcId=9300841&merchantid=8548804&gclid=CjwKCAiAp7GcBhA0EiwA9U0mtuKUOjhgMKfNzNUiXwsU4xiTmEFDTh4LNWGVpR8nzG8pazHDnlVdXRoC6S8QAvD_BwE

Edited by emccallum

20 hours ago, emccallum said:

Is this Ebay seller the "California Datsun" that I've seen warnings about on these forums? Since MSA no longer sells the rear speaker box for a 240Z I was thinking of buying this one. It looks like what MSA used to sell.

2 hours ago, w3wilkes said:

Is this Ebay seller the "California Datsun" that I've seen warnings about on these forums? Since MSA no longer sells the rear speaker box for a 240Z I was thinking of buying this one. It looks like what MSA used to sell.

Yes