IGNORED

1973 240z Custom Wiring From Scratch

13 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

Looks good.

Let’s hope it works! 🤪

11 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

Making a full harness from scratch is a big undertaking, it looks solid, professional. 

I've used the Tessa tape on a couple projects, it looks great, is good protection for the wires but awful to remove if you screwed up.

Thanks!

Yeah, I discovered that a couple of times. It also can’t be restuck. Once you pull it off it’s shot.

By the way, @SteveJ, I found that it’s possible to lessen the effectiveness of the plastic that catches the tab on the 1/4” connectors, so be careful when you pull off those colored connectors. I had to fix a few spots, particularly where a 12 or 10 gauge wire had been removed.

Edited by Matthew Abate
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just want to say a quick thank you everyone that contributed to this post. 

@Matthew Abate This is going to make my wiring project go so much smoother. I have been searching high and low for this information. There is just so much missing and incorrect information out there. Having everything in one place and documented with such detail is a lifesaver. 

The Z community Rocks!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

@Matthew Abate I too am going through my entire harness, but not to the same extent as you. I'm not replacing all the wire. Not that it's a bad idea, just not in my budget. I will be making repairs and modifications to support fuel Injection since I am going back with a RB instead of the L series. I am working with a fairly low mileage Z. I do plan to clean all terminals with Deoxit when it goes back together to ensure good connections.

You mentioned adding an additional fuse in one of the previous post. I thought I might share my current project. I have a fuse box I pulled from a S14. I plan to install in the same location as the original fuse box. I want the dash harness to remain as close to stock, so I'll wire it up with the original connectors. Ideally it's basically plug in play with addition of relays and extra fuse circuits. 

There may be better aftermarket fuse box option, such as the Bussmann. This didn't cost me anything and has lead to me having a much better understanding of fuse box and wiring in the car. Your work here has also helped pave the way. 

Hopefully everything works out. This S14 fuse box should be an upgrade from the outdated stock fuse box and offer plenty of expansion for in fuel Injection setup. 

PXL_20231229_194458609.jpg

PXL_20231230_214720911.jpg

PXL_20231222_022121024.jpg

PXL_20231230_214706026.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

@SteveJ,

I'm working on my dash harness and want to check with you to make sure I am wiring up this headlight relay correctly. Is it okay to run those to wires from the headlights straight to ground?

Also, I could run a wire directly from the alternator to the B terminal instead of coming off the fuse box stud, right?

1973-240Z-NLR-132-Wiring_Diagram.png

It took me a few minutes to reconcile things since you are only showing one part of the circuit. Yes, that looks correct to me. 

Since you have pulled the ammeter out, yes, you could pull the power for the B terminal from the B terminal on the alternator. I suggest putting a 10A inline fuse into the circuit near the alternator to protect the wiring if that's the direction you go.

• Like 1