IGNORED

L28 sensors

The one at 11 o'clock is the all important coolant temp sensor that tells the ecu how much fuel for the injectors.   The big one at 2 o'clock is the thermotime switch which tells the cold start valve to add fuel and richen the mixture when ambient temps are low at startup.  The single pin one at 6 o'clock is the temp sensor for the gauge in the cabin.   You can easily test all except the themotime with a vom reading the resistance at a certain temp and referencing the factory shop manual guide. 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, S30Driver said:

The big one at 2 o'clock is the thermotime switch which tells the cold start valve to add fuel and richen the mixture when ambient temps are low at startup. 

5 hours ago, S30Driver said:

You can easily test all except the themotime

Test this one in a pot of water on your stove, start with cold water and slowly make it hot.. at one point you should see the sensor switch.

S30driver - they're 14 inch Campagnolo wheels. I purchased them new in the early 90s from the late Al Costintino (sp) the US importer.  Manufactured to a high standard and complete with Campy lug nuts!

That sensor, the one on the side by itself, didn't appear in 77 or 78 - with or without factory a/c.

14 minutes ago, zspert said:

That sensor, the one on the side by itself, didn't appear in 77 or 78 - with or without factory a/c.

I agree. I have seen it mentioned as a thermo switch for the airco in other threads, but I can't find anything about it in the AC wiring diagram. My 280Z has factory air and doesn't have the switch.

Maybe @ennisdavis can tell us which L28 he is refering to. Could be something ZX....

I browsed through a bunch of carpartsmanual pages and only found one drawing of the thermostat housing, in EFI Control.  It does show a side port but I can't find a switch defined for the hole anywhere on the other pages.  The carparts site is setup in a way that you have to know something's purpose before you know where to find it on the site.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/engine-280z/e-f-i/control

image.png

1. water temp switch on my 75 Cali car was for the EGR system. It is disabled during warm up with an electrically controlled vacuum source. I have had a few of both the thermotime as well as the temp switch. Most of the used ones did not function. I presume corrosion was the factor. The temp switch in my case was a NC below 140f IIRC, I ended up making my own with an old housing and a new temp controlled reed style switch, epoxied into place. I think the main problem I had finding a new temp switch was most were NO at below 140f and would close once the engine would warm up. Not what the EGR wanted.

I think on others the temp switch had to do with switching the dual coil distributer pickups for different advance one full temp was achieved.

Edited by Dave WM