IGNORED

77 280z Restoration

Av8ferg

On 9/18/2022 at 10:34 AM, Av8ferg said:

Dave the sending unit is a single female type bullet connector.  Is this the one you’re talking about? 

there is a two piece with the sender mounting into a separate screw in brass holder and then there is the one piece where the sender and the screws are all one brass piece. the OE is the two piece with separate screw in / sender bits. I did not know about this, ended up with the one piece which fitment is the same, came with a O ring (not used not sure why its included). It seems the seal is made by the conical shaped end of the sender in both types. 

Very interesting ignition discussion!  I have some info on fuel injectors that I read many years ago. The injectors in our Z’s need cleaning more often then those a generation late.  The vintage of injectors in our Z’s we’re tested by running a test engine for many hours continuously and there were no issues with gumming up. What they missed was that an engine doesn’t run continuously during its life.  When the inservice engine was shut off a bit of fuel would remain in the injector, evaporator and leave behind varnish. That would make the injector slow to close after the electric signal was cut off and would lead to a fuel mixture that was too rich. Later generations solved this problem though I don’t remember how. 
The most effective way to clean was a cleaning kit that consisted of a pressurized can of concentrate cleaner that could also serve as engine fuel and the associated plumbing to connect this to the fuel rail, control the pressure and a pinch clamp to block off the gasoline return line. (I think you blocked the supply by pulling the fuel pump fuse, but I don’t remember for certain.)

When I owned my 76 (bought it new), I owned one of these kits and it worked very well.  

Sorry I don’t recall a reference. I read this more than two decades ago when I was trying to figure out if my 95 Ford engine needed the injector cleaning that my Z got.  The 95 went well over a 100,000 miles and never needed the injectors cleaned.  The 76 Z couldn’t pass our Phoenix, AZ area emissions test if the injectors weren’t cleaned more frequently.  It would run too rich. Nothing that was noticeable in performance, just failed emissions on high HC. 

Sometimes as an old guy you wonder why you remember certain things with great clarity and are vague recalling things of far more importance!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

In a Ghostlike voice: I can see you! in the bumperrrr...  On your socks! :pow:

Btw. the rpm's keeping hanging to high .. i got that too..  a bit..   i think the set of carbs  (mine) need a restore or good cleaning at least.. it's 15 years ago i did this for the last time.. so.... 

Nice 280z you got there!  I think i need such a spoiler/front lip too..  At 210 on the german highway the car wants to take off a bit hahaha.. yeah kilometers.. not miles!

When the idle is hanging high, leave it alone, open the hood, and press on the throttle body linkage to see if the blade is hanging in the TB.  I had that problem on mine and it was just a gummed up throttle body bore.  Not uncommon, Nissan rerouted the PCV hoses to reduce the problem.  The other possibility is the BCDD.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Wanted to share my experience with getting my front end aligned.  So I took the car to a local shop with a great reputation, had them do other work before on my other vehicles.   Anyway dropped it off yesterday morning and it sat there all day and they didn’t finish it until this morning (had a sick mechanic).  I really wanted it done yesterday because the East coast got hammered today with a big storm today and I didn’t want to drive in the pouring rain.   Once they finished the work they parked it outside in the downpour.😞   
So the alignment was was out of whack, which I expected since I rebuilt the entire front end and reconditioned the steering rack.   Here are the before and after, you can see the camber numbers..   Of note for those using lowering springs that your camber will be off.   He said I was in the limit but said it would be fine.   Attributed it to my lowered springs.   Drove it home in the rain like so stole it.   Driving so nicely, but nos she’s all dirty.   😩

68764B97-3C62-4C72-932C-95AE944E58C1.jpeg

41D49CD9-AF7C-48AA-A1BF-3511901066C3.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

building a lot of confidence. 

Hey Ferg, I have "fixed" my 240z between 1998 and 2000, i had a accident at work and needed a car as my boss putted me after 13 years on the street.. (I had a company car) and the 240z was a hobby.. it failed in 23 years just twice and it was because of no fuel in it and a under hood light that had a burnt out bulb, and it came back to live through a shaking car and draint the battery! :facepalm:  

What i want to say: these s30's are one of the most reliable cars there are around. i always laugh when people with " modern " cars have all kind of trouble with theire cars..  As these s30 have a electric plan that fits on a A4 piece of paper there is not much that can go wrong!

And when i see what some people have to pay for theire garage bill pfff.. Crazy Money!! 🤬

Edited by dutchzcarguy
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1