IGNORED

Looks like I need to replace a Fuel Pump.......

70z4fun

So, here I go again.......... It's fuel pump time again.

I parked my car for the winter, and I have moved it a few times during the winter, going from one garage to another....

So, yesterday some construction work was being done at the house, so I wanted to move the z out of the way. It sputtered so I just pushed it out of the garage. When I went to put back in, It would not start. I thought it was cold, so I changed the plugs and tried again. Nothing. Cranks over fine. So I pulled the fuel line off the fuel rail and no gas came out after cranking it....... Fuel filter looks empty..........

So, is there a good fuel pump available now days? I few years ago, I got a GMB fuel pump and it failed on the first ride......

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Try filling the chambers with gas through the vent bungs. Your floats are most likely stuck after the fuel has evaporated out of the chambers. You can hit the sides with a screwdriver handle too. That will free them up. 

My car sits for months and this has happened to me a few times. It'll run fine for a minute then sputter out.

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

Your floats are most likely stuck after the fuel has evaporated out of the chambers. You can hit the sides with a screwdriver handle too.

Same here yesterday!  I (softly) hit the fuelbowls with a hammer and there it go's!  At first it starts and dies after 20 seconds (about.. )  Haha i suspected bad (worn) needle-valves OR a to low pressure fuelpump.. i think i have to put on one of my new nissan pumps..

I got one for sale still orig. (nissan 6 cyl. pumps.) in the box. 

When there is no fuel in the filter it looks like a defect pump to me.. i got fuel in mine but still had the problem of dry floatchambers..

IMG-20161118-WA0011.jpgIMG-20161118-WA0007.jpg

Edited by dutchzcarguy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

My car sits for months and this has happened to me a few times. It'll run fine for a minute then sputter out.

Yeah now with covid i almost don't use any car... and it gets stuck.. when i hit the carbs a little the car starts right up and stays on.. maybe the needles are a little worn out? (the ones that open and close with the floaters in the fuelbowl)

It could be the 51 year old pump or the 2 floaterbowl needle valves..  Somebody had more experience with it.. solutions? 👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, siteunseen said:

Try filling the chambers with gas through the vent bungs. Your floats are most likely stuck after the fuel has evaporated out of the chambers. You can hit the sides with a screwdriver handle too. That will free them up. 

I used carburetor cleaner recently to spray down the vent lines. That works, too.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, 

No problem starting if I put gas in the bowls. The fuel pump is not filling the fuel filter. I just dropped the gas tank and replaced the lines a few years back.

I would be interested in one of those fuel pumps...... everything online seems to be an off brand......

Are you sure your rubber hoses are in good condition? Cracks in the hoses, either in the engine bay or near the tank, could allow air into the hoses. This could prevent the fuel pump from pumping. Don't forget to prime the fuel pump, too, if it's been dry for a while.

• Like 2