IGNORED

Speedometer Cable O-Ring Size?

Jeff G 78

My speedometer cable o-ring must have finally failed after 44 years and my car is leaking trans fluid.  Does anybody know the actual diameter and cross section of the o-ring?  I could buy one from Z Car Depot, but I'd rather not pay a bunch of shipping and wait weeks for a $3 part if I can find the same o-ring at the local hardware store.  Of course I gave away four transmissions before I moved to AZ last year and they all had the mounts and o-rings attached.  Story of my life.  🙂

6 hours ago, Jeff G 78 said:

Of course I gave away four transmissions before I moved to AZ last year and they all had the mounts and o-rings attached. 

yes.. but they had all also old rings in it i bet.. haha so no worry's..  i bought a universal box with LOTS of rings once for a few bucks and there is always a ring in there that fits..  Take out the old one and you know what you need..

Oh and btw... a transmission is around 1500 euro's overhere... oeps sorry 🙈

On 1/15/2022 at 6:39 AM, dutchzcarguy said:

yes.. but they had all also old rings in it i bet.. haha so no worry's..  i bought a universal box with LOTS of rings once for a few bucks and there is always a ring in there that fits..  Take out the old one and you know what you need..

Oh and btw... a transmission is around 1500 euro's overhere... oeps sorry 🙈

Good answer….Get a box of assorted sizes. You’ll have all the O rings you’ll ever need.

Just type in O Ring Kit on Amazon…770 pieces for $11.00. 👍

Edited by Diseazd
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, EuroDat said:

O-ring size is 24x2.5mm (ID x Cross section). NBR or Viton material.

O-

Thanks!  That's exactly what I was looking for. It doesn't look like the local hardware store or HD/Lowe's have the right one. Amazon has it in a 50 pack in the right material or in some of the big variety kits, but I'll end up spending $20. I guess I'll just order through zcardepot.

• Like 1

I found something close at the local True Value Hardware today.  It is SAE and measures 3/4" ID (19.05mm) x 15/16" OD (24mm) OD x 3/32 (2.4mm) cross section.  I figure it was worth $0.79 even if it only works for a while.  The manufacturer's assortment box had no information about the material properties, so it's likely nitrile rubber and not Viton.  It will buy me time until I get a real one from Nissan or ZCD.  Thanks all!

Now I need to fit my MSA exhaust to my AZC 6 into 1 header.  I know it won't be a direct fit to the AZC header and I want to include a SS flex pipe and probably a resonator as well, so some fabrication will be needed.  Hopefully I can get the oval muffler to fit better than the same system on my old late 260 race car.

9 hours ago, EuroDat said:

It should be 24mm ID. O-ring are measurdd by inside diameter on a general rules. I have an international o-ring list. It might help with finding onethat comes close. Like @siteunseen said close is good enough as long as is is not too small.

Crap!  I knew I should have written the size down.  I was out and had to go to the hardware store for other stuff and then remembered to look for the O-ring.  Thanks for the smack into the side of the head to wake me up!  🙂