IGNORED

Bearings described

Zed Head

I understand using Dexron (hydraulic oil) in the power steering, I still use it. Just Googled "ATF in a manual transmission". To my surprise there's still overwhelming support for the use of ATF in a MT. My next question would be brass synchro compatibility. ATF would have been nice on those freezing mornings when the trans was difficult to shift at first.

19 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

The name DEXRON does not mean it's automaticaly ATF

@Zed Head  i meant it more like a brand name..

Here a example of DEXRON 75W90 oil.. of the brand ac delco.  it has nothing to do with the ATF..  yes ATF can be dexron but oil can also be dexron.. 

De bronafbeelding bekijken

Also when you look for the word DEXRON  on wiki it says:

Originally the DEXRON name was associated exclusively with automatic transmission fluids, later GM released DEXRON gear oils and other lubricants under the DEXRON brand.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

@Zed Head  i meant it more like a brand name..

Here a example of DEXRON 75W90 oil.. of the brand ac delco.  it has nothing to do with the ATF..  yes ATF can be dexron but oil can also be dexron.. 

We're talking about the 280ZX Turbo transmissions.  1981 - 1983.  Not brand name changes decades later.  Not what AC Delco did in 2016.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEXRON

Here's the 1983 FSM info again.  That is what the conversation is about.  1983.  The stuff about 2016 is interesting but not really relevant.

image.png

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1

Dexron was just a name..

Originally the DEXRON name was associated exclusively with automatic transmission fluids, later GM released DEXRON gear oils and other lubricants under the DEXRON brand. GM Automatic Transmission Fluids (ATF) The original Dexron (B) transmission fluid was introduced on April 1, 1967.

Also in the 80's dexron was atf and oil

It's professional blindness from NISSAN  to say: OR type dexron.. (still meaning the 80w oil..  for the transmission 5 speed   and dexron (atf)  for the auto transmission..  

Also: the servicemanuals of Nissan are more than once wrong.. they make mistakes..  but i always say that just shows your human ..