IGNORED

Bearings described

Zed Head

It's been confusing over the whole lifetime of Borg Warner "T5"'s.  Put "atf t5" in the Google box and a ton will come up.  You could read for days and still never be sure.

But the ATF issue still exists.  I bought a 2003 Ford with an M5OD 5 speed in it and Ford recommends Mercon V ATF.  But it got stuck in neutral often (a not uncommon problem with the M5OD.  Too slippery for the synchros?  Don't know), so I used Pennzoil Synchromesh and it fixed all of the problems.  That was 30,000 miles ago and some of the Ford guys say it's going to burn the needle bearings up because it's to thick.  But it's been fine.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

The name DEXRON does not mean it's automaticaly ATF were they talk about i think?  I sure never heard of putting atf in a manual gearbox!

It's right there in the graphic that I pasted from the 1983 FSM.  I doubt that they were recommending gear oil in their automatic transmissions.  

Look at the graphic.  "Type DEXRON" is mentioned twice.