IGNORED

Sanden Compressor Upgrade Completion

S30Driver

10 hours ago, gwri8 said:

This has been on my to do list for a very long time.  Thanks for the time,  effort and info you put into this.  It will certainly make mine easier when I get to it.

You're most welcome Greg.  In the meantime, keep your eye out for a zx alloy compressor bracket.  Easier to modify and far lighter that the cast iron version.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work. I use a sanden 709. Just an FYI. Your drier is backwards. The word “In” is on the sight glass and is pointing towards the firewall. Should be pointing towards the condenser discharge line. If you have 42 degree air on a hot day, and no leaks might just leave it be though. Good luck.  

Edited by Powerglide1956

• 1 month later...

Thank you!    A quick rough measurement shows about 2 1/2 inches of clearance to the frame rail.  I originally tried to clock the compressor fillings 90 degrees  toward the frame rail, but the bigger discharge fitting was just too close to the rail for comfort.

In other A/C related news, I recently completed about 1700 miles of driving to Zcon & back with the A/C system running and it performed flawlessly.  Very happy about that, and even with the A/C running some of the trip, I managed around 29 mpg on the fuel.

(Had to drive behind Zup's silver 240 some of the time so he wouldn't see my sweater & gloves on.)  :ph34r:

• Like 2

Thanks for that info.  I'm Installing a Vintage Air Mini into my '72 and just completed the cabin connections today using E-Z-Clip fittings and a JEGS bulkhead for the A/C lines.  As member qz16 noted when he did the same install a few years ago, making those interior connections is a royal PITA.  But now they're done.

I'm using the generic Vintage Air brackets for mounting the Sanden compressor to the block so I have some cutting and welding to do.  Already cut and drilled a piece of 1/4" steel plate that will get bolted to the block and am now trying to determine how much to cut off the back of the brackets so that the compressor has its fittings in the optimum, almost-upright configuration and yet have enough travel left in the slotted portion of the brackets to easily change belts if and when needed.

My problem is that the engine is not in the car so I need to do some mock-ups to make sure the fit is correct.  I plan to document the dimensions and cuts so future Sanden installers will have an easier time of it.

Edited by Seppi72
misspelling
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/17/2021 at 7:22 AM, S30Driver said:

My system was already converted to r134a by Nissan years ago

Did they replace the under the dash stuff at that time? Or its still the original evap components under the dash and just replacement condenser, compressor, dryer, and hoses? 

And are you on an OE condenser? Or a more modern PF unit. Trying to figure out the best unit for my upgrade next year. 

• 1 month later...

Jim, late to this post but this AC dragon is beginning to poke its head out of its lair for me.  Only because I’m replacing heater core and having the heater and AC valve rebuilt.   Summer come fast where I live and I don’t won’t to waste half of it unraveling my AC issues,   I have a stock system.  My bracket is a ZX one, my compressor came off my car and is Hitachi.  I have no idea if it works.  I do know that the system was charged when I removed the AC lines.  I had quite a surprise when I made a bad assumption that the system was depleted and removed a AC line.   Made a mess and scared the crap out of me when it discharged.  What a dummy!   
I saw these Sanden compressors for sale ~$200.   Seems reasonable but is it worth having my rebuilt or tested first?   Getting those fitting set up sounds a bit difficult and I don’t have access to a hydraulic crimper.  Is the Sanden lighter than the stock one.  I couldn’t believe the weight of that thing.  I also could use a replacement condenser.  Mine appears to have had several battles with blunt objects smashing up the fins pretty good not to mention it looks rough,  I never see the logic of putting old crap back into service like this condenser when it probably on its final leg anyway.  
You did a sweet job on this, nice work and thanks for posting it up.