IGNORED

What is your (most) valuable "made it myself" PART! and most valuable lesson learned about Z-cars!

dutchzcarguy

That MG forum has a nice write up and pics of making a wheel! 

I remember that is made 12 pieces and glued them later on the steel ring.. Now i would glue the wood first and make the circle with help of the wheel itself then you know that it will fit it later on.. first make the inner cut in the wood for the steel-ring of your wheel and then turn it up side down and make the inside and outside round of the front and later another one with the rear part of the wheel. remember that the steel ring lays only inside the front ring then you have enough material to make the "fingers"in the rear part.. (copy them from an old wheel)

Hope to see some pics of your work!

Sub category. What's the most valuable lesson I've learned for my Z.

There's at least 3 different length oil dipsticks for our cars. Make darn sure you have the right one for your motor or you'll overfill it and have a drip after running the car. I did this and had a drip or two off my oil pump until I figured out I had a 2.8 stick in a 2.4 motor. Drained about half a quart and my garage floor is a dry as my dogs food. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• dutchzcarguy changed the title to What is your (most) valuable "made it myself" PART! and most valuable lesson learned about Z-cars!
12 hours ago, siteunseen said:

Sub category. What's the most valuable lesson I've learned for my Z.

I changed the topic.. haha

@siteunseen so a 260z has a diff. stick then a 240z or are there diff 240z sticks? never had that.. i remember that i had 3 the same in my stash once but were exactly the same length and looked also the same. Where from 240z cars..

My valuable lesson on Z cars is that... there are very few cars as reliable as a (good serviced) z car!!  😉  (Sometimes i think that there is no longer a firm that makes a GOOD CAR!!  All that electronic sh*t is going to make them all unreliable!  (I'm an (old) electronics guy myself i know what can and will !!!  go wrong haha)  Stuffed with computers.. bah!!  I always say: a pig's rear is smarter than a computer, it knows when it has to go to the "bathroom" haha.. it takes just one (!!) "0"or "1" to mess up the whole program in a computer and that will stop your car...again! 😡

Edited by dutchzcarguy
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

From what I've learned the 240's stick number starts with an E, 280's with a P. Good thread I found below with the different numbers and possible receiver tube lengths. 

And I agree on newer cars. They suck for us DIY mechanics. The newest car I've ever owned is my 2000 or 2001 Camry, can't remember what the title says but I list it as a 2000 on my insurance. I did buy a brand new 2009 lawnmower that cost as much as a car. LOL 

engine oil capacity - Engine & Drivetrain - The Classic Zcar Club

• Haha 1

After causing a race DNF and a lot of money, I learned that the crank damper bolt needs Loctite.  It can and sometimes will come loose and destroy the engine.  I also learned that stock L-Jetronic EFI does not play well with an aftermarket cam.  If you want stock EFI, stick with the stock cam.  If you want a performance cam, go with carbs or a modern EFI.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

I changed the topic.. haha

@siteunseen so a 260z has a diff. stick then a 240z or are there diff 240z sticks? never had that.. i remember that i had 3 the same in my stash once but were exactly the same length and looked also the same. Where from 240z cars..

My valuable lesson on Z cars is that... there are very few cars as reliable as a (good serviced) z car!!  😉  (Sometimes i think that there is no longer a firm that makes a GOOD CAR!!  All that electronic sh*t is going to make them all unreliable!  (I'm an (old) electronics guy myself i know what can and will !!!  go wrong haha)  Stuffed with computers.. bah!!  I always say: a pig's rear is smarter than a computer, it knows when it has to go to the "bathroom" haha.. it takes just one (!!) "0"or "1" to mess up the whole program in a computer and that will stop your car...again! 😡

Thanks for changing the topic. Maybe you or me might start a new thread on Z secrets that only some can pass on to us. There's a few that I found by reading from my day 1 that are like writing the oil change date on the new filter with a Sharpie. Simple, but took a reminder to see the light.

5 hours ago, Jeff G 78 said:

After causing a race DNF and a lot of money, I learned that the crank damper bolt needs Loctite.  It can and sometimes will come loose and destroy the engine.  I also learned that stock L-Jetronic EFI does not play well with an aftermarket cam.  If you want stock EFI, stick with the stock cam.  If you want a performance cam, go with carbs or a modern EFI.

On my 2nd go round with the 240 I used that Loctite that's blue. It's not as strong but from all I read it's great for regular vibrations.

The gel stick is the way to go on bolt threads. 

images.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, siteunseen said:

I used that Loctite that's blue.

Me to, funny enough it's in a red little bottle overhere.. I use a very little drop on many bolts big and small. Never had a loose bolt ever.

10 hours ago, siteunseen said:

Thanks for changing the topic. Maybe you or me might start a new thread on Z secrets that only some can pass on to us.

1st, your welcome Cliff, and 2nd, most z-secrets are in the serv. manual haha..  The biggest job is to get people to READ it..  instead of skimping..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

funny enough it's in a red little bottle overhere..

Same in the US and I never understood that.  I have a bottle of Red and a bottle of Blue and I always have to take the cap off to figure out which is which.  What genius at Loctite decided to use a red bottle for both strengths?

Edited by Jeff G 78
  • Agree 1