IGNORED

Help find long lost 240z

Escott1622

Latest update I talked to my uncle let him know what’s going on, he has no records of the car personally and can’t find a picture but he does have the same Erie insurance now that he had when he had the car. My question is do they keep records that far back?

20 minutes ago, Escott1622 said:

My question is do they keep records that far back?

Unlikely since they've probably transitioned from paper to digital over the last five decades.  But, you'll never know unless you don't ask the insurance agent.

I think you're probably getting closer to looking for a Z "in the style of" your dad's car than finding the actual.

Good luck with the insurance VIN search!

2 minutes ago, Jeff Berk said:

You should check with the Erie agent. You might get lucky.

So if you do get the VIN, are you going to try and do a CarFax to trace the owner?

That’s the plan , I also have a friend with access to a police computer but that’s if I can’t find anything online 

Has anybody recommended letting a police officer check the vin #? I've done it before buying a car and they got all the info I wanted. Maybe he doesn't have the vin? Haven't read the thread.

Okay, skimmed through and found no vin. Good luck with your search.

Edited by siteunseen

27 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Has anybody recommended letting a police officer check the vin #? I've done it before buying a car and they got all the info I wanted. Maybe he doesn't have the vin? Haven't read the thread.

Okay, skimmed through and found no vin. Good luck with your search.

There’s only so much you can do since it’s not supposed to be public knowledge I don’t want my friend getting in trouble but yeah if we find the vin or plate we are good

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 3:44 PM, Escott1622 said:

Dealer has no records that far back

Yep, and they have mostly gone digital. I tried to rack my dads 240Z to, he didn't kept any information either just some pictures. I only could find it was road tested after damage restoration last in 77 on historical license plate information

• 2 months later...

Most recent update.  Back when he sold it he bought a bricklin sv-1,  he took the plate off the 240 and put it on there and I have the vin and purchase agreement for that bricklin.  Erie only keeps records for 15 years and my friend ran the bricklin vin and got nothing outside of the current owner no original plate number or anything. We are searching around for pictures hoping that plate is on the bricklin.

1 hour ago, Escott1622 said:

Most recent update.  Back when he sold it he bought a bricklin sv-1,  he took the plate off the 240 and put it on there and I have the vin and purchase agreement for that bricklin.  Erie only keeps records for 15 years and my friend ran the bricklin vin and got nothing outside of the current owner no original plate number or anything. We are searching around for pictures hoping that plate is on the bricklin.

Looks like you're getting closer to searching for a replacement "in the style of" your dad's original rather than finding the actual car.  The good news is that you could find a similar Z, tell your dad it's his original, and based on the lack of old pictures and a VIN no one could prove you wrong.  All good!