IGNORED

Help find long lost 240z

Escott1622

Alright so this is the first time I’ve ever done anything like this.  My dad bought new a 240z in probably 72-73, it was his favorite car and the one he regrets selling. He always talks about this car and said if he had to choose one car to buy before he died it would be another 240.  Now that I (his son) am getting older and have more cash flow I wanted to see if maybe I can find his car he had.  How do I even go about this.  He bought it new in Pittsburgh pa I know what dealer and everything it’s still around, I doubt he has any info on the previous sellers or the vin.  I’d love to be able to track down the current owner and depending on its condition put in an offer. Idk where this thing could be it could be a museum quality car or rusted beyond recognition 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Escott1622 said:

240z in probably 72-73

Add as much more information as you can.  This is nowhere near enough.  Not even close.

Pictures, dates, names, dealership, etc. will all leave traces on the internet.  72-73 240Z is everywhere though.

11 minutes ago, Escott1622 said:

new in Pittsburgh pa I know what dealer and everything it’s still around

Well?...

Some questions that may help in the search:

Did your dad sell it to a private party of trade it in at a dealership?  

Where and when did he sell it?

Any old documents, insurance papers, registration forms, tax documents, maintenance receipts that might have the VIN?

You might want to just plan on providing one "in the style of" the one he had if you can find an old picture or ask him about colors and wheels.

Edited by psdenno

Well I didn’t include that info Because I didn’t start the search yet I’m just coming here to see what you guys suggest, dealer name is a&l motors in monroeville pa.  I’m gonna see if he can track down a picture of two hopefully one including the plate

He sold it to my uncle who right away sold it to where I have no idea. I doubt my dad has any info because he was in highschool when he bought it but my uncle was in his 30’s at the time I’m hoping I can find info from him 

The internet is an amazing thing.  I tracked down a guy who was ripping people off and using the money to pay for his wedding.  Just for fun, I didn't share the info with the victims, just told them it was "out there" if they wanted to find it.

The dealership might have the VIN and the VIN is used by most people that sell 240Z's these days.

https://bringatrailer.com/datsun/240z/?q=240z

I’m hoping they have it, they sold them back in the day now they are a bmw/jag dealer but same ownership or atleast family. I worked at a dealer I know they kept paperwork but for 50 years?  I also don’t want him knowing I’m doing this just incase I find the car and it’s on bring a trailer for 70k lol alittle out of my zone, I’m hoping best case it’s a survivor or in moderate shape so maybe we can fix it up alittle I’m sure he’d enjoy that more than it being pristine 

• Like 1

You really need a vin number to have a chance.

You could run it through the national stolen vehicle database and if you know cop you might be able to run a national trace to see if it's registered anywhere

14 hours ago, Zed Head said:

The internet is an amazing thing.  I tracked down a guy who was ripping people off and using the money to pay for his wedding.

Was that a z car forum? I saw something similar on one. He wouldn't tell you the plug gap, search for yourself, but asked for money to marry his high school crackhead. 

15 hours ago, Zed Head said:

The internet is an amazing thing.  I tracked down a guy who was ripping people off and using the money to pay for his wedding.  Just for fun, I didn't share the info with the victims, just told them it was "out there" if they wanted to find it.

Heck, I didn't need to do much of a search to find him. 😉

image.png

It is *ahem* interesting to go through his feed.

By the way, the marriage didn't last...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1