IGNORED

260Z banging noise under armrest area

11 minutes ago, Shawninvancouver said:

my pal insists it’s the u joints that hold the tie rod to the rear diff.  Is that even possible ??

No.

heyitsrama is probably right.  Looks like your exhaust system has broken before the muffler.  That's why it sounds like a straight pipe.

Your timing sounds retarded also.  Have you set it with a timing light recently?

Or as in the drive shaft was spinning and the car wasn’t moving.  Reverse was fine abs the car shifted fine once going. Other than someting banging or knocking on the ledge behind seat or center console area. Like a bang bang bang bang like someone knocking on the front door to come in.  🥸🥸🥸

21 minutes ago, Shawninvancouver said:

drive shaft was spinning and the car wasn’t moving.

This can't happen unless the wheels are spinning or the differential is broken.  If the differential is broken it's permanent.  There's no not moving then moving.

Jack up the car and take a look, you can see if the joints have play in them. If you find it’s a joint problem have a reputable shop replace the ujoints, I just trashed half-shafts that I tried to do myself.

There are a couple of different clunks this car can make, and I think we have figured out most of not all of them, just have to tell us when it happens. 

it could be that’s the exhaust is off one of the supports that it has so it’s slapping around down there.

you won’t know till you go down there.