IGNORED

Hagerty: Z the new 911?

NVZEE

Interesting.. i probably restored the right car? a increase of value of 86% in one year??  My idea to restore a 280zx was to have a car that drives very nice, is big enough for my 6 foot 6 and does not get stolen because they are not very valuable... i guess that last point i mentioned no longer applies.. pff..😕

IMG-20200730-WA0001 (2).jpg

• Like 2

I read the Hagerty article this morning.  The author tries to argue that younger buyers aren't interested in buying Porsches because they identify more with Japanese brands.  There may be a small element of truth to that, I think it's more about affordability. 

I also didn't see anything in the author's pricing survey that surprised me very much.  Good 240Z's in the US$30K-$40K range sounds about right to me.  Prices may have gone up over the past 10 years, but they haven't exactly exploded.  I think it comes down to production volumes.  Nissan made a lot of Z's between 1969 and 1978.  Maybe 10 times the production volume for 911's at Porsche?

Consider this:  A brand-new 240Z cost about US$3,400 in the early 1970's.  Most consumer prices have gone up by a factor of 10 over the ensuing 50 years, so it could be argued that the car sold for the equivalent of about $35,000* in 2021 dollars.  Which is about what a decent restored Z will cost you right now.  Not sure the same can be said for an early 1970's Porsche 911 (which sold for around $6K when new, IIRC).

(* Becomes $50K after you add $15K for front and side air bags, DOHC/CVVT/EFI engine, full computer control, comprehensive emissions control equipment, front/side/rear-impact and roll-over structures, leather, modern lighting, galvanized steel body panels, sound-deadening, contemporary electronics and sound system).

20 hours ago, Namerow said:

I think it comes down to production volumes.  Nissan made a lot of Z's

Yes they made a lot !!  of them!!  But even here in europe they got crushed after it became a rustbucket or after a crash, so few were left and those are the cars we drive today..  (I got my 240z also back from the death after the floor was "restored"in california..  oh Man!!  there was 2mm fat heavy steel in the floor welded on some spots and clayed with silicone or something with fibreglass in it it was a mess.. i made a complete new bottom with good beams and all in it.. Now it needs another restore after 22 years.. (more the outside..))

Porsches did'nt go into the crusher.. because IT WAS A PORSCHE! It survived under a tarp and later restored..

1 hour ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Porsches did'nt go into the crusher.. because IT WAS A PORSCHE! It survived under a tarp and later restored.

Different customer demographic, for sure.  Both vehicles rusted out at the same (rapid) rate, though*.  As for the proportion of each marque's new-vehicle numbers written off from collision damage, that would be an interesting statistic to know.  We could speculate, but actual numbers would be better.  Might make a good undergraduate thesis topic for somebody enrolled in Business with a minor in Sociology.LOL  

(* Kudos to Porsche for eventually becoming one of the first in the industry to introduce galvanized panels into the construction of their products.) 

• Like 1

As a Millennial/Gen-Z (born in 1998), the original draw to the s30 was it's classic look and history, but in the end, the main reason I bought it was the affordability, as Namerow said. Had the z been more expensive, it would have been unrealistically out of my price range. Buying parts for the car is relatively inexpensive, and so is the up front cost of the car itself. Slap in the ease of maintenance and repair, and it's a very practical car to buy as far as classics go. That being said, an old 911 is, coincidentally, my 'dream' car. However, to buy one and drive it with regularity would be painfully expensive and financially irresponsible, presuming I even had the money to buy one in the first place. But, if z's and 911's cost the same, I'd have gotten a 911. However, they don't so I didn't. Point is, a 911 is way too far outside my ages' price range, but a z isn't - with a little bit of saving and some vigilant searching, you can definitely find one. Put it this way, you can get a decent s30 for around or less than the price of a new car, so if you've got a knack for classics, it's a good option. Then, you can save up some more money and decide whether you want to buy a house... or a 911... 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

You have to look at it from what the dollars purchasing power is not the actual number.  That’s part of the problem, but here’s the really reason……. Class Z’s are awesome cars and the world is finally recognizing it….something we all already knew.  So 20% is rising prices all around and 80% but the Z is a beautiful, fantastic car.  

So, maybe they are the new 911... in a way, at least. Not too long ago, I heard someone say something to the effect of, "Wow, look at that old Porsche!" about my z. Evidently that guy thought it was a 911!

• Haha 1